Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

does vdh work with b&W to tame treble please???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mick23, Aug 23, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all having tried most things with my cdm1nts +3802+nad540and finding in most cases regardless of source or genre of music that cdms are to bright sounding in general.

having just tried unico hybrid amp hoping to get a more enjoyable /musical experience, have found the 3802 to sound slightly better than unico, which does not make sense to me .

i am aware that the cdms are bright sounding anyway and a change of speaker may have to be sought,

i contacted a respected dealer for advice and mentioned that i use dnm reason 2 speaker cable and dnm i/c it was suggested that i try van der hull cs122 speaker cable biwired vertion rather than dnm cable.

i am prepared to have a last (stab) at this but would like to know if using vdh with b&W will reduce harshness ,
    i found on another forum some had the same problem with cdms and found qed xtube tamed treble,

i do not know of any dealer who will loan me vdh to try first though ,

thanks all

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    DNM cables generally work best with DNM amps which is what they were designed for primarily,and they do have a fairly forward character.

VdH cables tend towards a smooth but bright sound,as do Chord...you may find that some of my favourites(Kimber) work well in your system,as they do in mine also....I have Nautilus 805's run with Krell KMA100 amps,neither of which are noted for a recessed treble....wiring is with a mixture of XLO and Kimber interconnects and Kimber 8TC speaker cables.

The added bonus is that you get a 60 day trial period on Kimber cables from Russ Andrews.

www.russandrews.com

3. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Mick - still trying eh:mad:

I would also go the Russ Andrews route, you really cant go wrong with the 60 day trial, order as much different stuff as they will let you, try it all out (order the speaker cable terminated, adds a bit but saves you loads of hassle if trying different cable), and see if any of it makes a difference to that d**n treble!

Hopefully something will work!

All the best, Ian

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    alex ,ian with ra cables etc not sure if you get full refund if cables do not cure problems. as 3 meter lengths of 8tc are pricy.

i am not really sure if (im barking up the wrong tree) with all this cdms sounded poor originally very flat/harsh, a tweeter driver was replaced by bw and on return speakers sounded far smoother than before, and i used 3802+nad 540 +qed sa+qed i/c at home.

at demoes music was played louder than i do at home and slightly more expensive cd player was used (arcam cd72 nad 541i) bw have recently replaced drivers/tweeters/crossovers and they have had 200 hours now , but still sound a bit harsh .

so not sure if to try differant cd player as well as cables,others have tried differant cables and cured harshness.

same track on tuner verses same track on cd the cd track will sound more harsh /trebly.

thanks all

5. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mick, you do not need to tell RA why you want so many cables!
    Just order as much as you can, and all it will cost you is the carriage return for the cables you dont like. Its also worth experimenting with interconnects from RA as well (in for a pound etc).
    The more think about it, I really cant understand how the Unico does not considerably better the Denon, I presume nearly everyone you spoke to said it would beat it, Ken Kessler (who is a reviewer I rate very highly) said the Unico is a no brainer for anybody wanting an amp up to £2000:eek: but I cant really come up with any solution, as the cdms have even been suggested as a good speaker match for the amp!!!!!
    Try posting on www.zerogain.com/forum and see if anybody much more knowledgable than me has the answer, before this starts getting seriously expensive:rolleyes:

Best of luck, Ian

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mick23

If you've got the patience, have a go at the CAT 5 DIY speaker cable. The weaving adds to the inductance of the cable which in turn will tame the treble. I spent the best part of a day knocking some together and was totally disappointed in how much treble I lost, may be the solution for you though.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks all

ian i spent yesterday comparing unico vs denon i swopped between vdh i/c d300 mk3, dnm reason bullit plug i/c ra tonic i/c attenuated at 14 db ,could not really tell any differance between dnm i/c or vdh the vdh would suffice at its price point.

i find the unico sounds more like you are playing vinal and gives the sound of a tt being used rather than cd player, some cds sound more mellow with unico rather than denon.

ie chris rheas track on road to hell cd (daytona) sounds quite good his voice sounds more lifelike.

played claptons knocking on heavens door track , the unico sounds like its not keeping up with the music as well as the denon does, i think this is called timing, though not sure.

this is where the two amps differ somewhat,

ps ian it was your dealer who suggested the vdh saying b&W use vdh cable???? thanks all