1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does using zoom affect PQ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zAndy1, Nov 7, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Hi,
    Would zooming the picture on the Z2 affect the PQ at all? Is it best to leave it on the minimum zoom? It looks like I might need to zoom it out to get a 80" x 45" picture from the throw distance I'm going to have available. Failing that I could get a 68" wide x 38" deep screen but is that a bit on the small size?!

Cheers,
    Andy

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the opposite problem, I hope the specs are correct coz I'm pretty neat on the minimum zoom at my throw distance.

I seem to think that its better to use as little zoom as poss but thinking about it I dont see why.

:confused:

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    I too was wondering this, but to be honest with what we are dealing with I don't really se why it should make THAT much different. We're not exactly talking about 20x optical zooms with barrel distortion issues, resolving 1000's of lines per inch kinda stuff.....
    Given the moderate zoom 1.2x type of thing I'd be supprised if there are any real life noticable issues.

I'd guess the image will dull the more it is zoomed, simply as you are spreading the availiable light over a larger given area.

Myself, well I think I shall have to use some zoom to achieve my 6 foot screen width from my AE200. poss even 3/4 zoom, but I'm not going to stress about it. I tried it last night and didn't really see any major change.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Provided you've some sort of light control, the difference in light output in zooming shouldn't really be an issue. Max zoom can accentuate screendoor, but given a 1280x720 resolution and decent seating distance, it should be a non-issue, imo.

Sean G.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    That's interesting what you say there..........

You said max zoom can accentuate screen door.
    Well the image is getting larger so of course the pixels are too.

Or are you implying that zooming to a larger image makes screen door worse than moving the projector back and achieving the same image size ?

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Yip, that's the general idea......... pixels are bigger, so is the "gap" between them - ergo screendoor.......

This is a bit of a puzzle, really - on one level, logic would suggest that if the image width/height is the same result in either a min/max zoom scenario (by moving the projector back or forwards, as you say), then the relativity of the sizes of the pixels should be the same in either case........

On the other hand, using max zoom suggests that some degree of optical distortion is taking place (maybe not particularly noticeable, but there nonetheless, as the image has been magnified at the point at which it has left the lens), so I guess I'd stick with the "minimum zoom" advice, and allow the "throw" of the projector to establish the appropriate image size.

A bit geeky, but there you go..................... ;)

Sean G.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The image is being "magnified" anyway :)

"Medium" zoom? Best of both worlds :D

Seriuosly, I can't see any difference between minimum zoom (PJ closest to screen) & maximun zoom (PJ furthest away) for a given screen size.

We're talking 1x to 1.2x for most currently available PJs - nothing in it IMO.

:smoke:

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I first got into FP, Nexnix assured me that setting the zoom to medium would give the best PQ and as others testify here, I also cant really see any difference.

Zandy1, 68 x 38 is practically my screen size which we found perfect for our cinema room which is about 12.5 feet, although our seating is probably at about 11.5 foot.

Ideal for us as I did not want to end up with it being like we are at the front row of the local multi-plex!

Cap.:smashin: