1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does top quality component cables improve picture quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by evans, May 4, 2003.

1. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I am very happy with the picture quality of my set using the compnent cables which are cheap ones. I use them for progressive scan.

Just wondering if I bought expensive ones would I notice any difference in picture resolution (is it worth buying them>)

any input would be great.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moving over to BNC would probably result in better picture quality, rather than forking out for exotic makes.

'course your kit needs to have BNC on either end.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I made some 10m phono to phono cables using some Maplin £1.99 connectors, and some 7mm dia (IIRC) BT2003 double shielded cable. The picture from the Tosh 520 to NEC HT1000 was very good.

I then compared it to some cheap £5 cables (5m) from CPC, and some 10m Profigold cables (£33).

I couldn't see any difference.

Cables costing £100 or more may reveal a better picture, but by how much i wouldn't like to say.

When I first tried the test, I thought I saw details in one cable that wasn't in the first one I tried. When I tried the first one again, those details were there. So, in effect when comparing you'll quite often tend to see what you want to see, especialy if you've paid a lot of money for it...

After a lot of swapping, I found there really wasn't any difference between any of them, with image quality being equal. So, unless you have some really badly made cables, you're unlikely to see any difference by upgrading (IMHO).

Gary.

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I actually changed cables and put the same film on and thought that one set of cables showed better quality than the other. But it is such a small difference it is very difficult to detect.

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I use Linn audio cable @ £5 per meter. Over the years ive tried many different cables to try and bet er the Linn, but ive allways gone back to them.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    evans

The 'after market cables' debate is one of the hottest in the history of HiFi and Home Cinema with many differing opinions and very polarised reactions and divides.

We supply VanDamme, QED, Supra and BetterCables Component video sets and certainly in my own system I can see differences when I install different cables into the system.

Deciding if the differences are a positive or negative difference and if they are cost effective is a different matter - I'd certainly advise anyone with the 'as supplied' cables to consider the VanDamme range as a pretty low cost option to ensure you have a decent set of cables and connectors in your system.

The QED, Supra and especially the BetterCables Silver Reference cables are not inexpensive but so far none have been returned and deemed to be snake oil.

As is often the case once you start to get into tweaking your system its often quite costly to make minor upgrades - ask a Formula One team why Ferrari can go a whole 0.025 seconds quicker over a 12 mile lap!

Best regards

Joe

7. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was getting a slight white halo or ghosting when running from the VHS into the E30 and swapped from generic and cheap video cables to Maplin proper video cables and the effect has disappeared now.

But the same prob appears on the scart lead so I'll need a better one of those soon.

M

8. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ive just bought more expensive cables , well a lot better quality than the cheapo ones that came with the dvd player. I figured why pay 1800 pounds on equipment and use 3 pound cables it doesnt make sense. I switched the new ones on for progressive scan and to be honest the difference is positive but I wouldnt say mind blowing. I put a couple of films on that I had seen with the old cables and there is not much in it with the more expensive cables. I suppose it is like Joe Fernand said about ferrari spending all that cash for 0.025 seconds quicker speed.