Question Does this specification mean the TV has the old analogue tuner?

MrBungle2005

I'm looking at a small TV for the bedroom and need the old style analogue tuner for my Sky coax extension in there.

This is what the spec for the TV says:
TV Broadcasting PAL BG/I/DK SECAM BG/DK Receiving Channels VHF (BAND I/III) - UHF (BAND U) - HYPERBAND

I think that means it does? But as I'm buying it from Argos, once it's opened I'm stuffed if it doesn't work. And calling their tech team was useless as they had no idea, other than looking at those specs in the instruction manual and not knowing what they meant. Thanks

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at a small TV for the bedroom and need the old style analogue tuner for my Sky coax extension in there.

This is what the spec for the TV says:
TV Broadcasting PAL BG/I/DK SECAM BG/DK Receiving Channels VHF (BAND I/III) - UHF (BAND U) - HYPERBAND

I think that means it does? But as I'm buying it from Argos, once it's opened I'm stuffed if it doesn't work. And calling their tech team was useless as they had no idea, other than looking at those specs in the instruction manual and not knowing what they meant. Thanks

Yes it should be UK compatible. UK Analogue TV was PAL I UHF with 8Mhz channel spacing, and that's what a Sky-HD box (or external add on IOLink unit) internal RF modulator outputs.

Should work fine with a Sky-HD magic eye setup.

MrBungle2005

Yes it should be UK compatible. UK Analogue TV was PAL I UHF with 8Mhz channel spacing.

Guessing you want to use it with a PAL RF modulator say a Sky-HD magic eye system.
Yeah have it extended through to the bedroom, and sadly the tv I have in there is now taking ages to turn on. Not worth repairing though I don't think. Cheers!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yeah have it extended through to the bedroom, and sadly the tv I have in there is now taking ages to turn on. Not worth repairing though I don't think. Cheers!

Pretty well any TV will still have PAL analogue tuning. It's costs money to take it out so why would they. Also useful for modulator driven surveillance cameras.

Digital modulators which output Freeview-HD compatible DVB-T from a sky-box HDMI out are now much cheaper and can use your existing coax cabling and give a much superior picture,

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate...11&hvtargid=pla-564099987069&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

MrBungle2005

Pretty well any TV will still have PAL analogue tuning. It's costs money to take it out so why would they. Also useful for modulator driven surveillance cameras.
Yeah if I had read the online quick start guide instead of trying to be clever and read the specifications, I would have had found my answer, as the quick start guide shows you how to connect a VHS player using a coax cable :)

Edit: just collected the TV from Argos. Works like a charm :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom