1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this sound ok? - PWD6, connections....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by YOUWIN, Nov 5, 2004.

1. YOUWIN

YOUWIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    lo all,

yup its another of those threads :D
    I have been taking the time over the last month or so, reading as much as i can (practicaaly every thread) here about plasmas and connecting them, i have quite a lot of bits'n'bobs to connect up, so need to understand it all. I think i do, but may have a couple of questions.
    I intend to by a PWD6 from Avsales, i also want a new dvd player which will probably be a Pio 575A. Also i will need a new amp, as my old sony model does not do component switching (more on that later).

Here's what i have to connect to the new PWD6:
    SKY+
    Dvd - Pio 575
    Xbox(1) - modded (ntsc video output)
    Xbox(2) - Crystal unmodded, pal, RGB
    Gamecbue - (US)
    PS2 - Pal, RGB
    Dreamcast - Pal, RGB
    VCR - rarely used, just for the kids old films really.
    New AMP - either DENON 1705/1905/2805
    Camcorder - S-vid/composite

This is how i thought would be best. Using just the free board from Av-sales.

SKY+, Xbox(2) + PS2 + Dreamcast ----> into a scart switcher, (either Joytech AV control centre, or a Quintro). ---->then scart out to JS RGB---VGA converter-----> VGA on Plasma.
    Audio wise, SKY/Xbox(1)/PS2 all optical, (Joytech swicher does this), then one output to AMP. DC stereo connections to Amp.

Using a RCA component board in the Plasma.

Xbox(1) Component to Amp, audio optical to amp.
    Gamecube Component to Amp, audio stereo to amp.
    DVD 575 Component to Amp, audo optical to amp.
    Component output from Amp to component terminal board on Plasma (rca)

Now this next bit it where i'm a little unsure. I just have to be able to connect the camcoder and video up somehow. (especially with xmas, and a newborn on the horizon). I can connect the camcoder to the video via s-vid.
    I would like to then connect the video to the Amp via S-Vid. Now i understand it (and i may be completely wrong) some Amps can convert a s-vid/composite signal to component. Would this signal travel down the same component lead i will already have connected to the plasma? If this is correct then could someone please tell me which of the Amps i shortlisted above is capable. From a look @ the specs i can find the DEN 1905/2805 mention video up conversion, i am not sure about the DEN 1705.
    However all 3 amps have 3 component connections in, which is a must for the kit i have to connect.

I hope that all makes sense, and more importantly i hope i have understood what i've been reading over the last month or so.
    Would you experienced fellas please reply and let me know if all the above seems ok?

Much obliged
    Marc

:thumbsup:

2. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get the dual board instead of the rca component and you'll be sorted.

Alex

3. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    according to maw, the cheapest solution for a 3 component in and does upconversion to component would be the Onkyo 602

4. YOUWIN

YOUWIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

ah that sounds like a result, thx :)
    after looking at avsales that has bnc connections, i think i remember reading about rca bnc converters, do they cause any drop in PQ?

5. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no they shouldn't they are just pieces of metal for connections

you can always make your cables bnc one end and rca one end

Alex