1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this sound good?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Marc, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I'm looking at getting a Scart cable and Toslink cable. The Scart is to go from DVD to TV and the Toslink from PS2 to Amp. I've seen this set (the item on the left) which sounds ok from the description, and is really cheap.

Now, i'm not talking about spending £50 on an Ixos or anything, infact I'm not looking at spending more than £20 per cable, and would prefer not to spend more than £15 for the Scart and £10 for the Toslink, as i can't believe the difference in quality would be that noticeable to me to warrant spending so much. I'm really just looking at replacing my cheap-ass non gold scart cable with something a bit better, and replacing my REALLY short Toslink with something longer and a bit sturdier.

Basically what i want to know is if anyone's used this supplier before and if the stuff they sell is any good. The items look nice in the image and the blurb sounds impressive to me, though i don't know much about cables, and images can be deceiving..

Cheers

Marc

2. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally I would spend a bit more on the Scart. I just bought an IXOS 611 scart lead for about £30 and I'm pretty sure it made a difference over my Hitachi £15 scart. Before my Plasma was a little pixelated around text and smaller images. This apears to have dissapeared now, so I'm very happy.

With the Toslink connection, I dont know too much but I wouldn't think there would be too much difference between a £5 lead and a £20 lead. BUT, I'm probably wrong!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,
    I haven't been able to tell the difference between £10 and £100 toslink cables. They all sound the same. The only good thing about toslink is the longer lengths.
    As for scart....I'll listen to your advice on those!:)

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You could also buy a Thor scart for just under £18 from TV Cables. Toslink cables can make a difference, the problem is often the manufacturers implementation which can be good or poor

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its not reallly to do with quality but they are a better fit, look nicer and have a nice feel.

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    thanks for your help guys, in the end i went with the Thor Scart (£17.98), as it has metal connectors which i heard is a good thing.

I went with a budget Toslink cable (£3.75), as it's only for my PS2 which doesn't actually do DD anyway, and at the moment i have a 50cm sony one which came with an old hi-fi which sounds fine.

I also went for a budget Digital Coaxial cable (£4.49) to connect my PC's Nvidia Soundstorm to my AV receiver, as at the moment i have a home-made RCA > RCA cable (i cut two shorter rca cables in half and wound the wires together then used sellotape to insulate them!) being used as a Digital Coaxial cable and it sounds absolutely fine, so i find it hard to believe even a budget cable could be worse than that!

Also thanks for introducing me to tvcables.co.uk, hadn't noticed them before, and i can pay with paypal which is a godsend! (and that doesnt mean it's crap, damn that movie ruined a age-old phrase)