1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this setup sound about right for video switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hallsy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got a Yam RX-V640 and I have the problem that most of the time the amp is tucked away out of sight so when watching TV, films, etc when you're turning the volume up there is no visual indication, which I find annoying. Also it would be easier for my other half if I used the amp for video switching, also I have been told that it's likely that when using the monitor out I will see things like volume displayed on-screen when being changed so this would help also.

So, my amp will output in composite, s-video or component via the monitor out. My TV doesn't have component in just composite, s-video, composite scart & RGB scart, therefor the best connection would be s-video.

This means that I will connect the DVD player to the amp via an s-video lead, the freeview box uses scart out so I will connect this to the amp using a scart to s-video lead, and my ps2 will be connect by a ps2 to s-video lead, then from monitor out on amp to TV will be s-video.
    Audio will be fine as it is, as this already all connected up.

I didn't want to go this route originally as I know the DVD picture quality will probably suffer, but I don't think there's anything else I can do bar buying as decent a s-video lead as I can. Will I really see that much of a difference? My TV is a 28" LG widescreen, so not a massive screen.

Finally, my amp will upconvert composite to s-video. In practice is this as good when using a std composite lead upconverted to s-video, as using a decent s-video cable in the first place?

I imagine it would be cheaper to buy a scart to composite cable over scart to s-video, so if the picture quality would be no different I could use the cheaper cable here and let the amp upconvert?

If anyone can see any problems, or offer any advice i'd be greatful,
    cheers!

EDIT:

Just had a thought, if my freeview box doesn't output s-video through scart, then if I bought a scart to s-video cable would I have problems? In that case should I buy a scart to composite to be sure? They are both teh same price for ones I was looking at.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yes - s.video is a signal type as well as a socket shape - you cant just buy a scart->s.video cable you have to have a scart socket that can output in s.video too.

I have never tried a composite -> s.video conversion and so cannot comment from experience (or from a technology point of view either :rolleyes: ) but my gut feeling is that there would be a significant drop in quality compared to a native s.video or an RGB->s.video conversion (there are a number of boxes on the market that could do this for you)

The difference between RGB and S.Video is normally small and to be honest some displays/sources are actually better with s.video than they are with RGB.

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So for the connection from my freeview box to the amp I should use a scart to composite lead? The scart I am using now is just a freebie so if I get a hald decent scart to compsoite lead, then use the yam's upconversion to s-vid I should see better picture quality when watching TV.

Cheers for replying, I was getting itchy feet about ordfering alead this morning so that I possibly have all my new leads by the weekend so I can change it all over :)

Also, the boxes you mention, how could I use these to improve picture quality in my system, or couldn't I?

Struggling to find scart to composite lead at the mo, need a 2m one really but finding all 1.5m!!

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    As I say - I have nothing to back it up but I think that a composite being up converted to svideo would not result in a very good picture.

This would allow you to convert an RGB scart signal to an s.video which i believe would give a much better picture quality than the above option will.

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=34&osCsid=2b82392e2ea2a6ba9dd04095b6cd0cfa

The above company is very well reported for these convertors and they often come up on the classified section.

Depending on how much you want to spend www.hificables.co.uk do a number of high spek cables (for scart to composite they do up to 5m)

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers, I found some cables in the end.
    So would this box convert s-video back to RGB? I could use this to convert my RGB out from DVD to s-video, but if the monitor out from amp is s-video then I will never see the RGB benefits at the TV (correct?) , so if I could use one of these to change s-video to RGB then I would use it inline with my s-video montior out then use the RGB input on my TV.
    Sorry, at work at mo, so haven't got time to check the weblink you posted, will do later though :thumsup:

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    bear in mind that when up converting from composite to s video you will see no gain in picture quality, it simply changes the signal type from composite to s video.

7. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But surely that will still cause the picture quality to improve, as it is taking on a better signal type, i.e s-video is split into luminance & something else, can't remember now, which is considered better than composite.
    Can't say that I have done decent back to back comparisons so can't really comment on reality against theory.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I dont think it would be worth while to reconvert the s.video back into RGB. With most TV sets there is very little difference between RGB & s.video.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hallsy

I doubt your AV Receiver overlays 'Volume' information on the Video out - its a pretty unusual feature; the only mid price range kit I know of that provides that function are some Pioneer AV Receivers when used in conjunction with certain Pioneer PlasmaTV's; and even then its not an 'overlay' in the AV Receiver the 'overlay' is undertaken by the PlasmaTV.

The rest of your rewiring plans are dead certain way to spend a fair few quid to achieve an inferior picture to what your seeing now - I'd suggest you go investigate a programmable remote control and once you have a tried and tested solution hand that to your good lady and put the rest of your remotes in a cupboard.

Best regards

Joe

10. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you're right there Joe, luckily I only spent a little on cables. I played about with the new leads last night, and although the picture was sometimes different, I couldn't say whether it was better or not!!
    I'll be reverting back to my previous wiring I think. I do have a Pronto but haven't got round to fully programming it, will prob get chance to finish it today.
    All I'll do now is replace the ****ty OEM scart leads that I'm using to connect up my DVD and freeview to the TV with something like Thor's.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hallsy

Just remember to fully 'road test' your Pronto programming BEFORE you hand it over to the rest of the family; the acceptance factor is MUCH higher if the initial 'hand over' is glitch free :)

Best regards

Joe

PS Remember to look at the various AV Forums sponsors/advertisers banner adds before you order new cables, see top of the page!