Does this recorder/hd combo spec exist yet?

Matthew Attoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking into buying a dvd/hd combo soon, but would like one which meets the following criteria/spec. The spec is in no particular order, but are all things that I need in a machine.

1) Firewire in

2) RGB in - which can be used at the same time as Component out - not like the Sony GX3

3) Component out - which can be used at the same time as RGB in - not like the Sony GX3

4) HD-editing at a frame-by-frame level

5) Either -RW or +RW

6) Either -R or +R

7) Excellent compatibility with DVD-R from other sources. My NS900 can be a little picky.

8) DVD Picture playback quality at least that of my Sony NS900

9) The ability to 'dial-in' the recording length for a dvd-r so that I can get maximum quality from each dvd-r

10) The ability to re-encode from a higher-quality to a lower-quality when I dub from HD to DVD

11) PAL/NTSC progressive scan output.

12) Not too worried about price (well, less than a grand), but obviously the cheaper the better.

I hope someone has the time and patience to answer :)

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

I'm afraid the simple answer is no! To give you a bit more detail...

1) Firewire in
This is included on most high end HDD/DVDR units - the Panasonic range (but not the E85), the Pioneer 5100, the upcoming Sony RX10 and (I think) at least one of the new JVC models.

2) RGB in - which can be used at the same time as Component out - not like the Sony GX3

3) Component out - which can be used at the same time as RGB in - not like the Sony GX3
The only HDD models with RGB input are from Panasonic. The new Panasonic models all have component out - whether it can used at the same time as RGB in remains to be seen. The Sony RX10 will have RGB input and component out but is likely to have the same limitation as it's little brothers.

4) HD-editing at a frame-by-frame level
This can be found on all the HDD units.

5) Either -RW or +RW

6) Either -R or +R
Generally you will probably find when you get your DVDR/HDD combo that you won't use re-writeable disks much - certainly for lending stuff to friends cheap DVD-Rs are as good if not better (due to increased compatibility/no need to ask for the disk back). The obvious exception to this is if your planning to record stuff on your machine and watch it upstairs (etc) on a regular basis. What I'm getting at is don't discount the DVD-RAM/HDD machines as they have some of the best specifications and you could be removing them for something you won't actually make use of.

All HDD/DVDR combos record to DVD-R. Currently none record to DVD+R (or DVD+RW) although that will change when Sony release the RX10.

7) Excellent compatibility with DVD-R from other sources. My NS900 can be a little picky
Can't help you here - I've always all my DVD players have been able to cope with whatever DVD-R I throw at them (but then I only use branded media).

8) DVD Picture playback quality at least that of my Sony NS900
You'll have to trial this one yourself. Generally newer DVDRs hold up quite well on the PQ front though. Personally I still have a seperate DVD player for playing DVDs - from reading your requirments I think you'll probably want to do the same.

9) The ability to 'dial-in' the recording length for a dvd-r so that I can get maximum quality from each dvd-r

10) The ability to re-encode from a higher-quality to a lower-quality when I dub from HD to DVD
All the HDD/DVDR combos you can get have some sort of 'fit to disk' option - it comes in several different flavours across machines but it all ends in the same result - a DVD-R filled to capacity thus maximising the bitrate. Annoyingly the Sony RX10 will NOT have this feature!

That's the whole point of these machines so they can all do that!

11) PAL/NTSC progressive scan output
The E95 has this - I would suspect the cheaper E85 will have this as well (but that falls down anyway on your iLink requirement).

Hey, thanks very much for the in-depth reply - I really appreciate it.

It's a shame that the hardware companies can't make a machine with everything on, isn't it?

Looks like I'm going to have to find a machine which scores the most "points out of 10" then.

Again, many thanks,

Matthew

I know most of these machines will play MP3s, but is it possible to put say 40gigs worth of Mp3s on the HDD and then play them?

I know most of these machines will play MP3s, but is it possible to put say 40gigs worth of Mp3s on the HDD and then play them?
No - none of the machines have this functionality yet.

Thanks for the info Rasczak.

Do you know if there is a machine that will let me record digital TV programs on a HDD and then copy that to a PC?

The Thompson DTH-7500 has a USB port but I'm not sure what its main use is.

Rasczak,

The only HDD models with RGB input are from Panasonic. The new Panasonic models all have component out - whether it can used at the same time as RGB in remains to be seen. The Sony RX10 will have RGB input and component out but is likely to have the same limitation as it's little brothers.

The Panasonics will playback programs recorded to DVD-RAM or HDD while watching another program on DVD-RAM or HDD. Therefore at the very worst one could record with RGB and play back immediately with component. Obviously with some loss of quality which might not be too much in high quality mode.

As the circuits are already there one would hope that a cut through mode would be available!

Pat

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom