1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this projector go beyond your budget?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HT Dude, Jan 29, 2001.

1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a question posed to get a feel for the market (posted with Spectre's permission).
    Would you consider buying a Barco 1209 Graphics projector - 9" tubes, exceptionally clear picture, good for more than 1024x768, with brand new tubes fitted (hence number of hours usage largely irrelevant) and 6 month swap out warranty, costing £27,000 + VAT new - for £8,000 + VAT?
    Specs here http://www.barco.com/projection_systems/presentation/product.asp?element=434
    Basically I'm trying to find out if 8K + VAT is too much for a used projector in this market (irrespective of whether the projector is a bargain or not).

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    HC Dude,
    If I were you I'd buy a brand new Barco Cine 7 and line Line Doubler for @ £10k. I wouldn't risk buying something second hand at that price unless there was a very good warranty thrown in!

I learned this lesson the hard way a few years back!

Just my thoughts,
    Paul

3. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    HC Dude,
    Methinks you are testing the waters of sale!!
    I would say this,what projectors cost a couple of years ago,and what they cost now are two different things..
    You can buy a Sony 50 crt for under 10k now and thats brand new!!!
    For this to be desirable-and sell fast,it would need to be in the realms of 5-6k(making it a tempting proposition to anyone considering a barco cine 7,seleco ht200,sony 50 etc./.)..
    Certainly 8K in this game is a lot of dough,i`d buy new if i was going to spend that sort of dough!!!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Well,

The DATA 1209 is what the Cine9 is based on unless I'm mistaken. Having seen a Cine9 set up by Barco, using their own internal quadrupler, I can say that it wouldn't be my choice.

However, I also saw a Runco992 Ultra that day, which also uses the same Barco chassis and it looked fantastic. I'd say the difference was in the quality if the scalers being used and the set up of each unit.

The question is as to the value of such a unit. Well it's a graphics 1209 so not as good as a data 1209. From what I've heard DATA 808's offer superior performance to the Graphics 1209, due to their smaller beamspot size. I've never done the dem so can't comment personally.

I don't see a problem with a unit like this as regards reliability. They are commercial products designed to last for ages....

Value though.... It seems a bit steep to me. I'd have thought a thousand less. It is extremely unlikely you'd find anything new for £8000 that'd outpperform it anyway. I doubt a CINE7 or D50 would even come close.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.
    I've been told that the projectors could be the graphics but may well be the datas. Don't know, yet. Interesting to know it may make a difference.
    My first reaction was that the market for these projectors is elsewhere. Basically because despite them being able to outperform any new projector costing 8k by some considerable margin, and them being somewhat of a bargain (considering the new lenses, a general overhaul and 6 month swap-out warranty) the figure is beyond most people's budgets. I have been reliably told that they are identical to the top of the range Runco models. (Runco CRTs being rebadged Barcos).
    Just to make it clear, I don't have these machines for sale, but someone else asked me if they would appeal to the home cinema crowd.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    They aren't identical to the Runco's. It's the same chassis but Runco do some changes along the way to make them more HT friendly and to give a superior picture.

Whether their mods are worth the extra is another question altogether. I've a list of soem of the thngs they do somewhere.

Gordon

p.s. The other thing is that they are HUGE.

------------------
    StereoStereo

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its interesting. I thought a graphics grade projector was superior to a data grade. they have a much higher scan frequency .I'm just using Barco 808 Data (75Khz) to Barco 808 graphics (115Khz) from a spec sheet. Maybee this is not such a good thing for HC use. As I've learned, a doubler on a graphics grade machine will still show scanning lines, due to the high resolution I suppose.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Rob,

Having just read your post then re-reading mine I see I made a bit of an error. Youare quite right. Graphics is the higher spec. Where I put Data substitute Graphics and vice-versa!

Cheers,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gordon: Am I right in thinking the Barco 600 is a Data version? I would assume the Vision 600 would have a video card fitted?

Cheers

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

10. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Retro - video card?!!
    What do you mean ?
    All the Barco projectors (as far as I know) have composite and s-video inputs aswell as RGB.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    HC Dude: No they don't. Some required the use of a thing labelled a RCVDS. Basically it converts composite and s-video to RGB+SYNC

Retro: Yes, it's a DATA 600. Scans up to 42Khz enough for 800 x 600 but as I said lets keep it at 600 x 480.

The Vision600 was a video only device

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 31-01-2001).]