1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this Plasma HDTV Exist?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by daverob, Jun 23, 2005.

1. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hope you can help?! Have been, for sometime looking at various Plasmas/manufacturers, ,also looking through Forums; but still remain undecided. My question is, does a Plasma with the following specs exist_

> Widescreen format with a screen ratio of 16:9
    > Can display 1,080 lines, progressively scanned
    > Have a built-in 1,800-line scaler to enhance 720p and SDTV
    > Have multiple DVI/HDMI inputs with HDCP copy protection
    > Have an onboard PVR capable of securely recording HD content.

Perhaps there is a Plasma (42") which comes close to the specs I'm looking for? If not, can you suggest a Plasma together with separate scaler which could help. Thought perhaps the Denon 3910 is a starting point? Any help you can give will, as always, be much appreciated.

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    IIRC, the only currently available 1080 res panel is the 45" Sharp Aquos LCD. It costs a fortune though. The highest res "HD" plasmas you can buy are 720p (or thereabouts)
    It will be a while yet i think before more 1080 resolution TV's are available, and probably even longer before they are affordable. (For me at least :))

3. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi DanH,

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated. Perhaps you answer the other question I asked concerning the scaler? Will the Denon 3910 or similar type, be able to upscale beyond the 720 you mentioned?

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The Denon 3910 is a DVD player isnt it? It will however scale standard def DVDs to 720p/1080i. For SDTV, you will require a stand alone scaler i think. (im getting a bit out of my depth here, and can only go by what i have read, which may or may not be accurate)
    See here for an example - http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/lu_scaler.html

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Meridian G98, G91 and I believe now the 800v4 are DVD/DVD-A players that will scale DVD and external analogue sources to 720p/1080i via its HDMI output. However, unless you are seriously in to music, an external scaler would probably be more cost effective.

-Ian

6. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Dave, :hiya:

With regards to your original question I think LG sells such a beast in the US.

I think its a 72 incher or similar. Somebody on the forum might know if its available in this country ( or due to be released )

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    daverob

If a native 1080P Display did/does exist it would have to have a Video Scaler on-board - or only accept 1080P signals.

Just as 480P, 720P and 768P Displays have scaling engines - so will anything higher resolution if its to have the ability to input a range of video signals.

The next step to consider is the Video Processing in the Display - is it as good as or better than a Dedicated Stand alone Processor; so far none are.

Why would you want an on-board PVR? The hard drive in a PVR is inherently much more susceptible to break down than a Display; you'll not find many PVR's with Three Year On Site warranties.

1080P Displays in 50" and above are on the way - though ensure you have your BIG cheque book out.

The Display manufacturers don't have the production lines in place as yet for mass producing 1080P glass in the sizes that most folk want for a replacement TV screen.

1080P at 50" is a much smaller pixel pitch than 1080P at 72".

Best