Question Does this PC seem like a good deal?

Steven Fergus

Standard Member
Hi folks,

I was looking to buy a SSD for my laptop to try and increase its performance when running programs like Photoshop and Lightroom. I was browsing Gumtree and found found this PC priced at £210:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 920 processor, 4 cores, 8 threads (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
Samsung - EcoGreen F2 Desktop Class HD502HI - Hard drive - 500 GB (For system)
Hitachi HUA721010KlA330 Ultrastar 1TB 3.5 Inch 32MB SATA (for storage)
8GB DDR3 RAM in tripple channel memory configuration
Dedicated Graphics Card Nvidia Asus EN210 512MB GDDR3 With HDMI, VGA and DVI Port
Pioneed Bluray player, DVD writer BDC202-------
WI-fi Dell pcie card + aerial
Dell motherboard and chassis.

Is a machine that that spec going to be future proof? The reviews for the processor seems pretty good and it comes with plenty of storage.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
You are getting what you pay for really. It's not something I would call future proof.
The graphics card is very low spec, so you may have issues if you are heavily into Photoshop and Lightroom. But other than that it's fine as a PC. The CPU is decent enough.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is a machine that that spec going to be future proof? The reviews for the processor seems pretty good and it comes with plenty of storage.

Look at the date on them though, that was released seven years ago.

The last couple of i7-920 435MT machines on ebay went for £142 and
£150:i7-920 in Desktops and All-in-One Computers | eBay

They didn't have the blu-ray drive, but you could buy a brand new one for less than £60, and they did have a couple of extras over the one you're considering.

For £210 you could pick up an i5 machine at half that age which would not only support more of the newer technologies but it would also have more processing power.

In short, not a good buy for that price.

Steven Fergus

Standard Member
Thank you for the reply guys. I thought the processor was a lot more expensive than it actually is, I must have been looking at an old link. It sounds like it's not worth buying, thanks for the help :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom