Does this mean my TV is HD?

Enjoysmoviesandgames

Established Member
Reaction score
My mate was kind enough to let me borrow his 360 to check my TV was HD.

I connected it all via the component leads and set the switch on the lead to HD.

I then went to the 360 tv settings bit and changed it from 480p to 720p and and 1080i and it displayed it ok. I think at 720p the display sewtting was 1200x720.

I played a couple of games and it all worked ok in 720p.

Does this mean my TV is HD then and is all working fine,

The pic was better at 720p than 480 and the screen res was also higher.

Have I failed to do something or is my plasma HD as I will buy a 360 if this is the case.

Probably, whats the make and model and it can be checked. Remember just b'coz it does not have HD ready label doesn't mean that it wont except and display a HD signal.

Plasma is a Hyundai HPT4250 model.

It displays my media pc at a res of 1280 x 960 without any problems.

The manual says - component video 480i-1080i.

No its not HD.

It will accept a HD signal though and I suspect its down scaling the picture..

The resolution of your tell is 852 x 480 which is 480p.

Why does the plasma on screen display then change to 1200 x 720 when I chance it from 480 to 720, or to 1900 (or something)x 1080.

The pic is way better when I change it to 720 from 480.

How can it not be displaying at the desired setting if the plasma OSd is saying it is?

When you search your model on Google it does come up saying it can do upto 852x480 but I found one on eBay and the spec said 1024x768 which is HD so I am confusded?

Just looked in the manual and it says -

"The display has a Component Video Input terminal to receive signals including,

480i, 480p, 576i, 720p and 1080i"

So I guess then that this answers my question and it is.

Just looked in the manual and it says -

"The display has a Component Video Input terminal to receive signals including,

480i, 480p, 576i, 720p and 1080i"

So I guess then that this answers my question and it is.

Not really because it might be able to recieve those signals but it doesnt mean it wont just scale them.

Does the manual not list the screens native resolution as that would settle it.

Copied from the manual -

This shows all the supported display modes -

640x350
640x440
720x400
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1280x1024

Why is this all so complicated.

Some people say it is, some say it isn`t.

Does this mean if i at a later date get the High Def drive it wont be showing in its full glory?

If it can go upto 1280x1024 then it is definitely HD.

As for the HD-DVD drive, you will be able to display in 720p and 1080i just fine but not 1080p

it doesn't matter what it supports, it matters what the native resolution of the panel is as to whether it's HD or not.

If it supports and displays 720p and 1080i then I`m happy then.

I`m not bothered if it`s actually named as an official HD ready plasma just that it all works and supports it ok.

It doesn`t have an HDMI socket or anything.

If it supports and displays 720p and 1080i then I`m happy then.

I`m not bothered if it`s actually named as an official HD ready plasma just that it all works and supports it ok.

It doesn`t have an HDMI socket or anything.

Neither does the 360 so you're ok there!

like i said earlier, if you're happy with the PQ then just sit back and enjoy.

The PQ is good but I don`t know what I am comparing it to as I have not seen one running on a deffo HD display.

I think we need to explain more clearly the difference between 'HD Compatible' and 'HD Ready'. Most standard definition, low resolution, vanilla flavoured plasma displays for example are able to 'display' many resolutions including 720 and 1080 etc. This is why in the specifications at the rear of the manual it will list all of these high resolutions as being 'compatible' or able to be displayed on a particular screen. The fact is though, if you then look for the actual resolution of the TV (native resolution) in the manual and it says 852 x 480 then you are not seeing the benefits of the higher resolution images from HD, it just merely works. Most standard definition sets will happily show 1080i. but its being severely downgraded. It may well look better than an ordinary broadcast - switching from 480 or 576 to 720 on the xbox360 can also show 'improvements'. But you won't be seeing and more definition. Just a better signal or processing of the image.

If your Hyundai screen is listed in the manual under panel resolution as being 852x480 resolution then you haven't been seeing HD. If you upgrade to a geniune HD Ready screen as opposed to a HD Compatible screen you'll understand the difference. I hope this is a bit clearer for you, but the thing to remember is to ignore what the screen can accept and focus on what the screen is actually delivering to you.

I've been checking the Hyundai model on the net and it looks to me that this is a 852 x 480 resolution TV. Its irrelevant what its compatible with or what it is able to show. It isn't HD. You will see a bit of improvement when you feed it with HD, but you ain't seen nothing!!

Get yourself to the shops! :smashin:

xbox360 is a different thing in HD

I think we need to explain more clearly the difference between 'HD Compatible' and 'HD Ready'. Most standard definition, low resolution, vanilla flavoured plasma displays for example are able to 'display' many resolutions including 720 and 1080 etc. This is why in the specifications at the rear of the manual it will list all of these high resolutions as being 'compatible' or able to be displayed on a particular screen. The fact is though, if you then look for the actual resolution of the TV (native resolution) in the manual and it says 852 x 480 then you are not seeing the benefits of the higher resolution images from HD, it just merely works. Most standard definition sets will happily show 1080i. but its being severely downgraded. It may well look better than an ordinary broadcast - switching from 480 or 576 to 720 on the xbox360 can also show 'improvements'. But you won't be seeing and more definition. Just a better signal or processing of the image.

If your Hyundai screen is listed in the manual under panel resolution as being 852x480 resolution then you haven't been seeing HD. If you upgrade to a geniune HD Ready screen as opposed to a HD Compatible screen you'll understand the difference. I hope this is a bit clearer for you, but the thing to remember is to ignore what the screen can accept and focus on what the screen is actually delivering to you.

Thanks mate for you well explained answer.

Hmph also as I was hoping I would not have to buy a new plasma!

You're welcome. Sorry to break the news that an upgrade is needed! But look on the bright side, you'll be watching SkyHD and/or xbox360 with a HDDVD player add-on on a screen that I think will be vastly different from what you have now. Good luck :thumbsup:

I`ll save my money for while I think and do without a 360.

I only bought the plasma 16 months ago or so. I don`t think the lady would be very happy about me buying a 360 then saying, I want a new plsma as well hehehe!

its a bit of a minefield. slightly off the Op topic, but may be useful for others

I have a Hitachi 42pd5200. now it doesn't have the HDReady badge, but
DOES output in 1080i therefore does output in HD It wont do 720p in 50hz, but will in 60. Also, doesn't have HDMI, but does have DVI

some do give HD output, but just because they dont necessarily have the badge it isn't always the case.

:thumbsup:

its a bit of a minefield. slightly off the Op topic, but may be useful for others

I have a Hitachi 42pd5200. now it doesn't have the HDReady badge, but
DOES output in 1080i therefore does output in HD It wont do 720p in 50hz, but will in 60. Also, doesn't have HDMI, but does have DVI

some do give HD output, but just because they dont necessarily have the badge it isn't always the case.

:thumbsup:
i have the Hitachi 28LD5200 which has the same specs as yours, which component input is best for 360 AV1 or AV2 as i think its only AV1 that accepts HD.

If the set is HD then all component inputs should accept an HD signal, shouldnt they?

i have the Hitachi 28LD5200 which has the same specs as yours, which component input is best for 360 AV1 or AV2 as i think its only AV1 that accepts HD.

hi, the manual should tell you, but in my model it is definitely AV1. :thumbsup:

I had an LG plasma which was HD Compatible and it would show all these resolutions very nicely, it was a complete step up from my mates CRT set but I have just swapped it due to a fault for a Sammy HD LCD and believe me there is a difference, let's just say it's taken another big step up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom