Does this mean my TV is HD?

its a bit of a minefield. slightly off the Op topic, but may be useful for others

I have a Hitachi 42pd5200. now it doesn't have the HDReady badge, but
DOES output in 1080i therefore does output in HD It wont do 720p in 50hz, but will in 60. Also, doesn't have HDMI, but does have DVI

some do give HD output, but just because they dont necessarily have the badge it isn't always the case.

:thumbsup:

see my original post. more info below

Requirements for the label “HD ready???
A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the label “HD ready???:

1. Display, display engine

· The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display
engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces

· The display device accepts HD input via:
o Analogue YPbPr*, and
o DVI or HDMI

· HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (“720p???), and
o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i???)

· The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)

BUT as long as the first criteria is met it will display a HD image but not get a HD READY badge.

My mate has one of the first Viera plasma displays that isn't HD. It displays a picture from the 360 at 480p and 1080i. It wont accept 720p though. The picture is noticeably better at 1080i but it is certainly not HD quality. It in no way comes close to the HD picture I have from my 360 on my Samsung HD LCD.

My mate has one of the first Viera plasma displays that isn't HD. It displays a picture from the 360 at 480p and 1080i. It wont accept 720p though. The picture is noticeably better at 1080i but it is certainly not HD quality. It in no way comes close to the HD picture I have from my 360 on my Samsung HD LCD.

strange. I too have a Samsung HD 26" LCD, and in all honesty, my Hitachi when playing HDDVD's at 1080i is better than watching them through 720p on the LCD.

If the Viera has a 1080i setting and plays through component then I'm surprised at the PQ.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom