Does this Lead exsist? Component to Computer D-pin Connector 15pin.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by El Ninio, Mar 19, 2002.

1. El Ninio

El Ninio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to Connect a Denon DVD 2800 to a Panasonic PTL 701e projector using it's computer connection. I want the benefits of a clearer and better quality image using the component sockets on the DVD player and making use of the projectors Computer port utilising the RGB signal.

Is there such a lead, I know Sony sell one for thier Cineza Projector range but I don't know if it's bi-directional.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A 5 x BNC (with phono adapters) to 15 pin D might work, but only if your projector has software switching to allow component in via the VGA connector. Otherwise, forget it.

Component is a different signal type to RGB. It doesn't matter how you wire the cable, it just won't change the signal type.

Regards

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My projector is an NEC, which has this software. Yes, a cable can be wired to do exactly this, if your manual says it takes component via the 15 pin D Surely, for a video only signal it's 3 phono, or at least that's all mine has got! I take it you're wanting the prog. signal from the 2800. You know this only works with NTSC, though there is a hack on a German site, http://www.geocities.com/denondvd/ to make it do PAL, if you dare.... I get my cables made by http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/ They'll make it up to your spec, the wiring diagram will be in your projector manual. However, I was sorry to find the picture not as good as my HCPC, though closer having found a 'native resolution' function, as my PJ is 800x600 this is close to my screen size. Hope this is helpful,

Martin

PS, if it takes only RGB, you should, in theory, be able to wire a scart to 15 pin D, but consult a much better expert tham me on this one.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    MAW is quite right. But I recommended a 5 x BNC to 15 pin D simply because they are easy to get hold of and cheap. Most computer stores sell a 1.5 m cable for less than £20. It will also work for both Component and RGBs subject to the right connections at the player end and your display being capable of accepting the signal. This is a good place to start without investing lots in a long custom cable where the wiring can't easily be changed.

Regard

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good point on the cost, but for me the length would be a terminal problem. Spending £20 on a lead, the another £20 or so to extend it to reach my components, and finishing up with a c**p lead I'd replace anyway is a non-starter. Do your research thouroughly, be sure it will work, ie read your manual and get the wiring right, and go for it would be my recommendation, my lead was £60 for 6m. What about the RGB scart to 15-D bit for interest's sake. Anyone done this? On 15 pin -d is the wiring for component standard? If so, why trouble to provide a diagram in my manual? All the leads in PC shops look like shoelaces to me, OK on the short runs usual with PC hardware, but not up to home cinema,

Martin

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Martin, I get your point, but you've missed mine, I think.

I wasn't suggesting a 1.5m PC cable as the final solution. Simply a means to check compatibility and wiring. Ofcourse you would invest in a cable of the appropriate length, correctly terminated and using 75 Ohm (rather than 50 Ohm, common to the PC market) impedance.

£60 for a 6 m cable is very cheap. Most of the cables I come across are at least 3 or 4 times that figure.

I suppose the crux of this thread comes down to knowing the capabilities of your projector.

Regards

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I take your point on knowing your kit.... got the point on temporary cable, but my PJ is bolted to the ceiling..... I find it hard to watch movies holding the DVD player! You just can't concentrate on the image quality. Hence the need for a 6m lead. My lead worked 1st time, a careful read is the secret. Also, knowing what you are buying. There's a good yank site for consumer info on LCD and DLP projectors, but the link is on the upstairs PC, my son's sick and is playing SW force commander on it, it takes ages and is not task switchable, so I'll post it later. Very complete info, specs, reviews, picture size calculator, archive of old stuff, all aimed at cinema users. It was my bible when purchasing.

M

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
  9. Nexus6

Nexus6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have attached the specifications to my projector Panasonic PTL 701e to see if it is able to accept a Component to RGB signal. Going from DVD Player to the input D-Sub HD 15pin Female.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attached Files:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your spec not very helpful, but check the pojectorcentral link, look up your projector and all will be revealed! I think there is a model number discrepancy, but all the 701's seem to do the biz, so no worries. There may even be an article on the 701 to tell you how well it works. You probably need to tell it what's coming via the menu, so to speak, not all will autoselect, espec. if it's been having S-Video before, and if the signal is still there. You should see a big improvement from S-video, good luck