• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Does this exist?

Abyssandrew

I currently have the following setup:

Marantz SR-4400 AV AMP
Front - Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders
Centre Front - Mordaunt Short 905C
Centre Rear - Mordaunt Short 905C
Surround - Mordaunt Short 903S
Sub - BK Monolith

Spare - Mordaunt Short 902i

I am moving house and could do with an AV amp that will do the following:

o up-convert all sources to HDMI (the av rack will be a good distance from the tv, so I need to be able to just send one cable for picture)
o Have two HDMI outputs (one for tv, one for projector)
o Have 3/4 optical inputs (xbox, dvd, htpc, and sky until I get HD)
o Be within my budget (£300 - £500), ideally the lower end.
o Support HD audio (I am out of date with the audio formats so a little clueless here!)

The setup is purely for tv/films/gaming as I have a separate setup for music.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mossym

Distinguished Member
lots of boxes will do most of that, however for two hdmi outputs, i can't think of anything in that range. you're looking at the higher end models in each range for two hdmi outputs. the rest is covered by the dnon 1909, onkyo 606

mossym

Distinguished Member
oh and even when you get sky hd, you'll still need the optical, hdmi out from sky hd is stereo only

Abyssandrew

Thanks Mossy M

Alternatively, would it be cheaper to get a HDMI splitter at £60? Then disregard the requirement for the amp to have 2 HDMI outputs?

* Easy to Use: Install in seconds, no need for setting up.
* 1 HDMI input to 2 identical HDMI outputs
* HDCP Compliant, HDMI 1.0, approved by the HDMI labs
* Output is re-clocked, synchronized and boosted
* Can be cascaded with more Splitter units to create more outputs.

Will a PS3/blueray player work from the HDMI audio, or will I need an optical cable for this aswell?

mossym

Distinguished Member
would indeed, be wardned though that many splitters are one or the other, they won't display to both outputs simultaneously. that may or may not be a concern for you...

PS3 will do LPCM over HDMI, it will not bitstream, pretty sure both the 1909 and the 606 will accept lpcm over hdmi, then you don't need an optical

davepuma

Distinguished Member
TBH, you'll struggle to get all those features on your budget. The cheapest AV Receiver with twin HDMI out is the Marantz SR6003. You might find deals on the Onkyo 876 too or perhaps a 2nd hand Onkyo 905. Alternatively add a 1:2 HDMI splitter (see tvcables, tmfsolutions or hdcable for suggestions) to split the single HDMI output from a lesser receiver to both the TV and Projector. Four optical is also rare, three is usually the maximum unless you use front connections although I'm sure some AV Receivers will have four usable optical inputs on the rear but perhaps again not at this price point. You could simply add a toslink splitter (around £5) to share one of the optical inputs if required. These work providing only one device is on a time so switching between the Xbox and DVD would probably work best. Most AV Receivers will have HD audio decoding these days, particularly when you're looking at the >£300 models. PS3 requires HDMI for HD audio and Sky (inc. HD) requires optical (or on newer HD boxes, digi-coax).

Abyssandrew

would indeed, be wardned though that many splitters are one or the other, they won't display to both outputs simultaneously. that may or may not be a concern for you...

PS3 will do LPCM over HDMI, it will not bitstream, pretty sure both the 1909 and the 606 will accept lpcm over hdmi, then you don't need an optical

Thanks. I will only be using one display at a time. Is it a case of whichever device is turned on at the time of the source being turned on will be used?

Out of interest do you have any idea how much better in terms of sound quality the 1909/606 is likely to be compared to my aging SR4400?

Abyssandrew

TBH, you'll struggle to get all those features on your budget. The cheapest AV Receiver with twin HDMI out is the Marantz SR6003. You might find deals on the Onkyo 876 too or perhaps a 2nd hand Onkyo 905. Alternatively add a 1:2 HDMI splitter (see tvcables, tmfsolutions or hdcable for suggestions) to split the single HDMI output from a lesser receiver to both the TV and Projecotr. Four optical is also rare, 3 is usually the maximum unless you use front connections although I'm sure some AV Receivers will have 4 usable optical inputs on the rear but perhaps again not at this price point. You could simply add a toslink splitter (around £5) to share one of the optical inputs if required. These work providing only one device is on a time so switching between the Xbox and DVD would probably work best. Most AV Receivers will have HD audio decoding these days, particularly when you're looking at the >£300 models. PS3 requires HDMI for HD audio and Sky (inc. HD) requires optical (or on newer HD boxes, digi-coax).

Thanks Dave. I've noticed that a lot of amps seem to only have 2 optical inputs, which will be a pain as Sky will always use one, and the xbox another. I suppose I could do away with the DVD player for a PS3, and split the HTPC and xbox.

StevieBuck

Thanks Dave. I've noticed that a lot of amps seem to only have 2 optical inputs, which will be a pain as Sky will always use one, and the xbox another. I suppose I could do away with the DVD player for a PS3, and split the HTPC and xbox.

The xbox will give you 5.1 sound over HDMI. The only reason to resort back to optical is if you have an older receiver which doesn't do sound over HDMI, which of course won't apply to you.

mossym

Distinguished Member
The xbox will give you 5.1 sound over HDMI. The only reason to resort back to optical is if you have an older receiver which doesn't do sound over HDMI, which of course won't apply to you.

yup, no need for the optical with the 360, it's works fine over hdmi

StevieBuck

So what type of connection will you be using then? Component? If so, you'll have to make sure the amp you buy will pass component video through through to the HDMI output, as this doesn't work on all receivers.

Also, how exactly are you going to connect up your Sky box for video? If it's an SD box you have at the minute then RGB scart is the best option but you won't get an AV receiver with scart inputs.

mossym

Distinguished Member

Abyssandrew

So what type of connection will you be using then? Component? If so, you'll have to make sure the amp you buy will pass component video through through to the HDMI output, as this doesn't work on all receivers.

Also, how exactly are you going to connect up your Sky box for video? If it's an SD box you have at the minute then RGB scart is the best option but you won't get an AV receiver with scart inputs.

Yes the xbox will be using component, thanks for the heads up I will look into if the denon 1909 and onkyo 606 support this. I have just ordered SKY HD, so video for sky won't ba an issue any more.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Both the denon 1909 and onkyo 606 do support upconversion (analog video input to HDMI output).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom