1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this exist ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by petrobas, Jan 19, 2003.

1. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there such a thing as a 32" / 36" widescreen tv that when taken out of the box & plugged in actually works without any faults or picture problems ?
    If it does please tell & I will buy one . Reading some of the stories here over modern tv's is scary.

My old tv is a JVC 28" Nicam , traditional black , from the day it came out of the box it has never missed a beat in 6 years .

2. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    All depends on how fussy you are everyone who as come round and seen my set can't see a thing wrong it, probably because the faults are so minor, slight buzzing almost gone now and very slight bowing.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is no such thing as a perfect CRT tv. All will have some issues with geometry etc, and the larger the tube the more noticeable and exxagerated the effect.

There are two extremes to types of punter, those that buy and use tv's and wouldn't notice a fault unless the picture didn't come on, and those that get upset when a line is 1mm out of alignment.
    Depending where you are on the scale between the above extremes will reflect how much hassle you have on getting a set you can live with.

As an example I have bought a 15" set for the kitchen, a flat screen and quite expensive relativly. The picture is not perfect with a slope of about 5 mm on the bottom line, evident when the picture is not completely filling the screen. However on this set and its location, it is acceptable to me. SCale the fault up to the 10mm or more that would be seen on a widescreen tv and I would be rejecting it or getting it adjusted.

I went through 2 large sets to get a third one one that was a good compromise, a tosh 36 which many others here could not live with due to "features". However the excellant geometry on the set I ended up with more than compensates for black level issues that others can't accept. My current set came out of the box and has worked fine for 18 months after adjusting picture to suit the environment it is used in. This is normal and can't be avoided. If you have a dvd player the THX? that is on some of them is very good at allowing this to be done correctly