does this exist?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by richard plumb, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,058
    well, as the Tevion got rounded on in another thread, I'll try and find my dad a decent HDD recorder. Here is what he wants:

1) Freeview. He'll want freeview access, but that can be either a built in tuner, or connecting up a STB. If he connects up a STB the HDD recorder should switch it over ideally (set one timer, not two)

Thats the main priority. Secondary priorities, in order of niceness.

- DVD recorder
    - twin tuners
    - DV in so he can dump the grandkids onto DVD easily

Oh, and not crazy expensive - £200-300?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    Is the main purpose
    (a)for timeshifting - i.e. record and delete, with a much less prominent use to keep permanent copy (e.g. on a DVD).

Or
    (b)vice versa?

If (a), then probably the easiest combination would be a twin tuner PVR (such as the Fusion 200 or perhaps the new Humax 9200) for daily use as both a receiver and timeshifter, and then (pretty much any half decent) DVD recorder for use to copy stuff onto from the PVR, for recording to DVD, to keep.

If (b), then a DVD-HDD machine with onboard Freeview (these qall have only one tuner), plus an extra Set Top Box (for use when watching live, and/or as a second Freeview source, when the first is busy recording).

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,058
    mostly (a) for timeshifting. Their TV has freeview built in, so for simplicity I wanted to have the box self-sufficient. And if I can get rid of a couple of the three(!) VCRs he has underneath it'll be a bonus.

I think a freeview HDD with twin tuners is a good bet, then worry about DVD recording as an upgrade - he already has tape if necessary.

The Humax 9200 sounds good, how about the topfield that gets mentioned, or the digifusion that John lewis sells? I'm a little concerned that there aren't any larger brands involved in this kind of thing - are these players in the STB market more than huge CE brands?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    Larger brands.........nope. Only Panasonic and their offering is junk.

Humax are very respected in this field primarily because of their first offering, the 8000, which is probably the most stable/reliable box there is. However, it's VERY basic, with only one tuner; has practically all the limitations of a VHS machine except tape length. Whereas these things ought to be capable of much more flexibility. It may be the extreme basic nature that gives it its stability. I hesitate to recommend their new 9200 for no other reason than it's too new and real-life experience has yet to filter out whether or not it has any glitches. (Many makes/models do).

Fusion's new FVRT200 model has been around for a few months now, and it seems that it's only "glitch" (which will probably be fixed with a software download in due time) is incorrect display of widescreen broadcasts on some TV channels (E4 was mentioned IIRC) on widescreen TVs. Aside from that, user reports of problems typical of Freeview PVRs generally (freezing, lockup, failure to record,etc) are practically nil. It seems to be substantially better than its own predecessors, the 100 and 150. Right now, if I were buying, this is the one I'd buy.

Topfield shows the greatest promise and has the most sophisticated specification. It is also the most expensive (by a good stretch). I gather it still isn't as free of glitches as it should be. I'm no longer following it so I can't really offer much detail. PC literate types can take advantage of 3rd party software enhancements which seek to improve it's functionality - such as an enhanced programme guide.

Other makes include Sagem, Bush, Goodmans, etc sare all to be avoided. I also consider the Pace Twin (sadly) to be junk although it does have, by far, the best design of User Interface here.

See here for more:

http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,058
    cheers LV246 :)

So the fusion will record two programs at once, and I can start watching one while its finishing recording? Pretty much job done - think i'll recommend that one to the old man.

Then he can be my beta tester to help me decide what to do with my old Tivo when it is no longer needed in the lounge.

6. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I agree with LV426. Nice summary!
    I will probably replace my FVRT150 with a 200 once the price drop (unless I can get a Toppy for cheap).

Of course the vast bulk of my viewing will be by TiVo, though this may change when HiDef arrives.