Does this exist ?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Sorry if this has already been answered but could not find anything on the search.

What I am after is a box that can -

1) Act as a streamer - Chromecast, Spotify Connect and Tidal
2) Accept an analogue line level signal (input)
3) Have a digital output that you can route the analogue input to (i.e. has an inbuilt ADC, 24/96 ideally) as well as the streamer output

At the moment I can only find streamers that can route the analogue input to an analogue output i.e. no ADC.

Currently not bothered about budget but obviously the cheaper the better but just to know that there is a unit out there would be useful.

larkone

Teufel Connector can do that but no longer made. The new Teufel Streamer is missing Chromecast :facepalm:

I found this out by mistake one day - the best bit was I could also route the input in a multiroom setup to other connectors.

Keep you eye out for a s/hand one - typically £100-120

UPDATE - just been on Teufel's site and they seem to be making the Connector again and the streamer is out of stock

Though it does mean buying from outside our borders so may take a few months

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Nearest I can think of is the Yamaha WXC-50 but not sure if that outputs analogue as digital. I'm assuming that an analogue signal input is able to be broadcast over MusicCast, & therefore ADC is taking place. I guess you'd have to ask Yamaha or an owner for confirmation.

Sonos also used to offer analogue multi-room so their current range may be worth a look as I've no idea what it is these days.

Cebolla

I can only see one use case for an ADC in the same streamer box - that of providing the audio from the ADC synchronised to one or more similar (multiroom) streamers on the network. If there's no plan to use the streamer with other streamers on the network, why don't you just get a separate ADC box?

Last edited:

larkone

Cebolla is right here - try this, best of all worlds

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys for the pointers.

I understand I can add an extra box (Sonifex RB-ADDA, Behringer SCR2496 Ultramatch, Meridian did stand alone ADC as well but are rare). Probably ought to give a bit of other info on the system -

Main element is a Minidsp Nanodigi that acts as a digital preamp (Optical and Coax input) running four Khadas Tonebaord Dacs to give 8 output channels. Works very well and has a very clean sound. Input is currently a CCA through optical, I use the DSP to integrate subs and equalise room isuses with a pair of studio monitors. But I am looking to ressurect my my vinyl collection and need a way of getting analogue input into the Minidsp hence the need for a decent ADC (I can bypass with a passive preamp but would miss out on the room EQ aspect). Was hoping to combine the ADC and a new streamer into one box but just adding a second hand Sonifex may be a better idea.

The Cyp is interesting but the ADC is limited to 48khz (no mention of bit depth, assume 16 bit), for a similar price I can get the Behringer Ultramatch second hand and for not a lot more the Sonifex.

My third option is the Project Phono E Optical but not sure of the quality of the phono stage.

Any more ideal please list anyway.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
@[email protected] many thanks, interesting, I had looked for this info and I think I may even have asked on here before but could not get an answer, on the short list I think.

jamieu

Thanks guys for the pointers.

I understand I can add an extra box (Sonifex RB-ADDA, Behringer SCR2496 Ultramatch, Meridian did stand alone ADC as well but are rare). Probably ought to give a bit of other info on the system -

Main element is a Minidsp Nanodigi that acts as a digital preamp (Optical and Coax input) running four Khadas Tonebaord Dacs to give 8 output channels. Works very well and has a very clean sound. Input is currently a CCA through optical, I use the DSP to integrate subs and equalise room isuses with a pair of studio monitors. But I am looking to ressurect my my vinyl collection and need a way of getting analogue input into the Minidsp hence the need for a decent ADC (I can bypass with a passive preamp but would miss out on the room EQ aspect). Was hoping to combine the ADC and a new streamer into one box but just adding a second hand Sonifex may be a better idea.

The Cyp is interesting but the ADC is limited to 48khz (no mention of bit depth, assume 16 bit), for a similar price I can get the Behringer Ultramatch second hand and for not a lot more the Sonifex.

My third option is the Project Phono E Optical but not sure of the quality of the phono stage.

Any more ideal please list anyway.

[EDIT: Just realised you wanted a device with a digital out 🙃 Oh well, I'll leave this all here in case it's useful to someone wanting a solution with an analog output!]

A HiFIBerry ADC Hat running HiFiBerryOS (you can also buy it as a bundle with a matching case)

That gets you a small box with an audio OS that can handle an analog ADC input, Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, DLNA and some very basic support for playing music back from a network share.

No ChromeCast but it does support Bluetooth/AirPlay. You could probably get Tidal Connect running with some effort by installing it manually via the command line. HiFiBerryOS can run Docker containers so that may be the simplest way to deal with updates/reboots.

You can also setup interactions that control the serial port when certain actions occur. Which could be useful if you want to change/trigger settings on your MiniDSP depending on to the source of music. There's also support for a cheap remote control too if you need one.

9zLkVuzgtGw1AKOKgdKfKw.jpeg

It looks like the above ADC HAT is also supported by Volumio so that could be another OS option and it sounds like Tidal Connect support is imminent.

Last edited:

NifkinFZ6

Just to confirm: the WXC-50's line in does have an ADR at the end of it and can put out out the digital via coax and optical.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Teufel Connector can do that but no longer made. The new Teufel Streamer is missing Chromecast :facepalm:

I found this out by mistake one day - the best bit was I could also route the input in a multiroom setup to other connectors.

Keep you eye out for a s/hand one - typically £100-120

UPDATE - just been on Teufel's site and they seem to be making the Connector again and the streamer is out of stock

Though it does mean buying from outside our borders so may take a few months

Put the price up a fair bit too.

I paid 110 for mine (your recommendation I believe).

larkone

Put the price up a fair bit too.

I paid 110 for mine (your recommendation I believe).
They have but then the price you and I paid was their special offer. I have since managed to buy 2 more s/hand because they are hard to beat at the price. Teufel even repaired one under warranty because the Chromecast was not working correctly - great service as they picked it up, shipped to Germany and was back in 10 days.

Russ_64

Went to look at this but got this when I clicked on UK !!
Unfortunately, due to the unclear trade conditions with the United Kingdom, orders to this area are not possible for the time being. We thank you for your understanding.

Best wishes,
Your Teufel Team

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the comments, just had confirmation of another device that will do analogue line in to digital out.

The Project Stream Box S2 will do the streaming stuff and ADC but out put us 16/48.

Others listed that can do the ADC job are Bluesound Node 2/2i, Yamaha WXC50 and for just phono input the Project Phono Box E Optical will do 24/96. Plus I am guessing there are lots of old, non HDMI AVR or AVP that will do this, an Arcam AV8 or AV700 maybe?

As for affordable (second hand) ADC boxes then the following may do the job -

Meridian 607 does 16/44 or 48
Meridian MPMAX 221 does 24/96
Behringer Ultramatch SRC2496 does 24/96 (ADC and DAC)
Sonifex RB-ADDC dies 24/96 and the RB-ADDC does 24/192 againnADC and DAC.

If I find any more I’ll add them to this thread for future reference.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom