Does this exist?

1jim

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Is there a blueray player that can access Netflix and lovefilm?

Is there one that can access iplayer for bbc, itv, ch4 and ch5 ?

Is there one that will do all of above?

Thanks

For all of those requirements , you would have to be looking at one of the new smart players , and even then , I doubt anything does them all.

Netflix is very common , Netflix and Lovefilm , very rare indeed.

BBC iplayer is very common , but all of the catchup TV players on the one machines , thats not common at all.

It depends on the software platform the maker has implemented and what kind of deals they have struck with those service providers.

Ive never seen a machine that will do all of what you want , searching for one will be long search indeed.

A small off the shelf HTPC with a BD drive will do all of them , but thats a different animal altogether , and will no doubt involve a lot of setting up on your part , no matter how well the manufacturer did it.

andy1249 said:
For all of those requirements , you would have to be looking at one of the new smart players , and even then , I doubt anything does them all.

Netflix is very common , Netflix and Lovefilm , very rare indeed.

BBC iplayer is very common , but all of the catchup TV players on the one machines , thats not common at all.

It depends on the software platform the maker has implemented and what kind of deals they have struck with those service providers.

Ive never seen a machine that will do all of what you want , searching for one will be long search indeed.

A small off the shelf HTPC with a BD drive will do all of them , but thats a different animal altogether , and will no doubt involve a lot of setting up on your part , no matter how well the manufacturer did it.

That's what I suspected to be honest, was just a thought before committing nearly 300 quid on on one of the new youview boxes, will still need to use laptop though for lovefilm and Netflix but there seems to be rumours they may appear soon....... Someone mentioned blueray players may be able to do it but to be honest didn't know that these hooked up to Internet (you can tell how little I know)

dante01 said:
Sony PS3???

Now that is something I hadn't considered, a quick scan shows it will do almost everything on my wish list
Iplayer
Itv player or whatever that's called
Ch4 on demand
Lovefilm

Can't see that 5 on demand or Netflix but it does appear you can't have everything

Will all ps3 do these or just newer models! Does accessing the content above cost anything or just normal Internet usage?

Thanks for this suggestion it really seems a winner

Now that is something I hadn't considered, a quick scan shows it will do almost everything on my wish list
Iplayer
Itv player or whatever that's called
Ch4 on demand
Lovefilm

Can't see that 5 on demand or Netflix but it does appear you can't have everything

Will all ps3 do these or just newer models! Does accessing the content above cost anything or just normal Internet usage?

Thanks for this suggestion it really seems a winner

The age of the box doesn't matter. Lovefilm isn't free, it's a subscription service. The catchup vod services for free TV channels are free.

LOVEFiLM | Watch movies & TV series online

Sorry, realise that lovefilm is subscription, I meant charges from play station, I read somewhere that with some consoles you need to pay a fee to access content (maybe xbox360) ?

Sorry, realise that lovefilm is subscription, I meant charges from play station, I read somewhere that with some consoles you need to pay a fee to access content (maybe xbox360) ?

You are thinking of Xbox Live. This allows you to play against other people over the net. The playstation equivalent is free afaik.

You can access both Lovefilm and Netflix via a PS3.

No subscription is applicable for access to the catch up services or online access via a PS3. You obviously do need to pay for membership to either Lovefilm and/or Netflix. You also obviously need internet access as provided by an ISP.

Last edited:
dante01 said:
You can access both Lovefilm and Netflix via a PS3.

Thanks, I think I shall be in the market for a PS3 very soon ;-)

Have you tried either of these services?

Thanks, I think I shall be in the market for a PS3 very soon ;-)

Have you tried either of these services?

No, I'm an old fart who prefers the superior quality associated with hard copy discs :)

dante01 said:
No, I'm an old fart who prefers the superior quality associated with hard copy discs :)

I was as well, until I got faster broadband, now I have sold out to speed :)

I was as well, until I got faster broadband, now I have sold out to speed :)

It isn't the speed of access I'm concerned about. I've already got 50Mbs broadband soon to be 100Mbs. It is the quality of the content being downloaded in relation to bitrate that concerns me. Online rentals and purchases fall short of what is available on Blu-ray disc even when purported to be HD. HD is more than just the resolution and bitrate is sacrificed in favour of bandwidth in relation to downloads. You also do not get HD audio via downloads.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom