1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this Amp Exist?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul D, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi
    At the moment i have a normal 5.1 speaker setup. The rear speakers are in the corners of the room. After a little research, i've discovered that this is the best arrangement for multi channel music listening.
    However for for movie watching, most people recommend having the rear speakers on the side walls for 5.1, and for 7.1 with the extra rears at the rear etc.
    Since i have made some nice corner cabinets, i'm reluctant to remove them.

SO! If i upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 (EX etc) i will buy some Bi-poles for the side and rear walls.

But do any Amps allow you to switch from two sets of rear speakers?.

Ie so i can retain the corner speakers for multi channel music in 5.1 and then switch back to the Bi-poles for movie watching.

Cheers Paul...

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Paul

The Denon 3801/2, A11SR, A1SE (with or without upgrade) and the Denon A1SR all give you the option of two pairs of surround speakers (Surround A & Surround B) plus the Surround Back speakers. You can switch between the two or have all of them running, A or B, A & B. plus the Surround Backs on or off with each option.

Cheers

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Jase! Excellent news as i'm after the Denon 3802 or 11SR.

Thank you!!!;)

4. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fulabeer
    What will drive your decision on the 3802 vs. A11SR? I am in similar position to you but mine is a family room whereas you have the full works with a proper HT setup. I guess (and guess is what I mean) the A11SR will give you a "better" 7.1 sound fields due to THX processing?

Jase - my current 10' by 20' lounge is being extended in to 20' by 20'. I plan to get the cabling in place now for 7.1 although I will start off with a 5.1 system. I plan to chase cable through plaster, sheath it with that mesh stuff and then using those faceplate thingies that make it all look like a power or aerial point.

1 - is it better to run it under the carpet or (possible) laminate wooden flooring.

2 - Where are the best positions to put the faceplate thingies for the 8 speakers.

Remember it is a living room so ideally a speakers in each of the 4 corners would be appreciated by the missus but... and any way do my plans sound a bit barmy?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1 - is it better to run it under the carpet or (possible) laminate wooden flooring.

I rekon to put it into a plastic trunking (those flexible pipes used for AC wiring) in the wall.
    But do not run speaker wires in the same trunk as AC wires!

2 - Where are the best positions to put the faceplate thingies for the 8 speakers.

Depends very much on your room layout, i.e. location of doors, windows and furniture etc.
    I guess front and center should be straight forward, the rears and surround backs shall go on the side wall (if necessary closer to the corner) and rear wall respectively.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Reiner has pretty much said it all. I´d use trunking rather than run it under the carpet etc in case you need to change the cable or gain access to it.

Speaker faceplate positions, as Reiner has said, fronts & centre at one end with the surround speakers at the side of the listening position & the surround backs directly behind.

You may need to experiment with speaker positioning, height etc so I wouldnt put the faceplates in permanently to start with!!

cheers

7. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner/Jase

Thanks for the replies.

To start with a 5.1 setup would you have the rear speakers behind the listening position or to the side of the listening position?

I tkae it with the rears and the sides I should not have any speakers actually in the corner of the room at the back? Shame because furniture-wise that is the most convenient position for me.

DEO

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    DEO

Depends on the type of speakers you have. Dipoles/bipoles/tripoles should be placed directly to the sides of the listening position, direct radiating speakers (monopoles) can be placed just behind angled in or to the sides.

Just remember for EX/ES systems you need some depth between the side surrounds and the surround back speakers to get the best effect.

Like the diagram in this link

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html

Hope this helps

cheers