1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this Acer AL1722HS look any good??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DragonQ, May 15, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the spec:

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...oupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=2426869494

I'm still waiting for a reply for my email asking what the Colour Depth was (The site says "16.7M", but there are other monitors that say "16.2M" and "16.7M (8-Bit RGB)" - so I'm a little confused since it doesn't specify), but apart from that, this monitor looks very decent - and it's available for under £200.

There are no internet reviews on this monitor, but what do you guys think?

If it turns out that it's only 6-Bit Colour, then the cheapest alternative I've found is also an Acer - the AL1732M (which I've found for £238):

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...roupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=476099380

This one has generally worse similar specs (except for Birghtness, and it specifically says "8-Bit per colour"), and of course I don't want to pay an extra £40 if I don't have to...

So does anyone have experience with either of these monitors? Or opinions they'd like to share with me please?

Thanks.

2. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it was only 6bit color then you would only have 262144 displayable colors which is a huge difference. Based on that then, the 16.2 or 16.7 would give you around 24bit color or 8bits per color RGB.

Gary

4. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    16.2 million colours indicates a 6-bit panel with time-based dithering (sometimes called FRC, I forget what it stands for). 6-bits gives you 64 grey levels, if you include the 3 levels created using time-based dithering between each 'real' level then you get 253 levels and 253^3=16 194 277 colours.

Looking at the specs of the 1722HS, it says it's a TN+Film panel with an 8ms response time and these fast panels are usually 6-bit. I could be wrong if the technology's improved a lot recently.

5. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought (8ms TN + Film Panel is most likely 6-Bit), but it's unclear. And Acer has yet to reply to my email - and their phone support is crap. They're always busy and they wont even let you hold - they ask you to leave a message so they can get back to you. Well they haven't.

The other panel is more expensive and is definately 8-Bit colour (but it looks worse, IMO), and it's only 12ms (which is fine for me).

6. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well just got through to Tech Support, and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. They said the only person who would know wasn't in the office. Sigh...

Well, IMO, it's not worth risking since it is probably a 18-Bit panel. What do u think?

7. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Depends on what you plan to use it for. If it's just for gaming, web, office work then a 6-bit panel would be alright. If you want accurate colour rendition, you should be looking at either an S-IPS or (preferably) an MVA/PVA panel; better yet get a CRT. I'm using a 6-bit 12ms TN+Film LCD as well (the Samsung 172X) and apart from intentional 8-bit greyscale tests I don't notice any dithering.