Does the Zen Touch play MP3 better?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by AFCChris, Jan 25, 2005.

1. AFCChris

AFCChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have heard a lot of times that if you compare WMA and MP3 at 192 bitrate then the WMA would sound better. After putting 1500 tracks on my Zen Touch since I got it, and having a mixture of both formats I think that MP3 sounds so much better, more open and with more pronounced bass and midrange. I was wondering if there is any logical reason for this or is it just my listening preferences that make it sound better? Does anyone know if the Zen Touch plays MP3 better than WMA?

2. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    WMA will sound marginally better at LOWER bitrates...we're talking at rates of 128kbps or lower, mind.

However, I don't bother with downloading anything less than 192kbps MP3 nowadays. Having a 40Gb Zen Touch helps a lot! I rip my own stuff with EAC + LAME with the --alt-preset standard option, to get extremely high quality VBR files...indistinguishable from the source CDs...

The Creative players have superb sound quality. Even my other half's tiny 1Gb MuVo N200 sounds amazing...I would never bother with another brand of player now...especially the overpriced, battery munching and poorer sound quality of the iPod family...