Does the XBOX 360 support 720p DVD playback with the HD cables it comes with?

G

grkgus

I am just wondering. I have searched google but i have not seen a clear answer. I know the games are 720p but does the current dvd playback upscale to 720p. I am asking because i am not sure wether to buy a home theater system or just a receiver with speakers.

Thanks

G

grkgus

NackNack said:
Nope. You need the VGA cable to upscale.
That sucks. My tv doesnt have vga. Any other things you can do. i only have HDMI cables. Is there a VGA to hdmi cable?

G

grkgus

sorry but another question, i do not really watch dvd any more, i usually use media center and broadcast with Transcode 360 via cat5. Would that show up at the regular 480p or the 720p?

oasismark

Distinguished Member
NackNack said:
Nope. You need the VGA cable to upscale.

WOW! :eek:

So if i get a VGA cable, i don't need to buy the HD-DVD drive to show upscaled dvd?

As i'm not planning on buying any HD-DVD films, just want to watch dvd's i've already got.

beasty54

oasismark said:
WOW! :eek:

So if i get a VGA cable, i don't need to buy the HD-DVD drive to show upscaled dvd?

As i'm not planning on buying any HD-DVD films, just want to watch dvd's i've already got.
HD-DVDs are far from upscaled DVDs and can't be compared.

Ive watched DVDs using component and VGA and they both look exactly the same even though watching DVDs while connected with VGA cable will allow the 360 to output at the screens native res

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
grkgus said:
sorry but another question, i do not really watch dvd any more, i usually use media center and broadcast with Transcode 360 via cat5. Would that show up at the regular 480p or the 720p?
I would like to know this too.

Cheers :)

G

grkgus

i do not really watch dvd any more, i usually use media center and broadcast with Transcode 360 via cat5. Would that show up at the regular 480p or the 720p?

anyone?

abraxus

Novice Member
grkgus said:
If your 360 is connecte to your TV via VGA then yes it will upsacle to native resolution, if not I don't think so, as it doesn't upscale video over component.

That's my understanding anyway. I'm sure someone with greater knowledge will either confirm or deny.

Dave

Distinguished Member
AFAIK if you send HD material via media centre it will display as HD on the 360.

Edit:- just to clarify, the 360 is a MCE extender so if you feed it 480 it will output 480, 720 it will output 720. The only thing it will upscale is DVD via VGA.

stainway

Novice Member
grkgus said:
i do not really watch dvd any more, i usually use media center and broadcast with Transcode 360 via cat5. Would that show up at the regular 480p or the 720p?

anyone?
If you use your Xbox 360 with 720p-it will display also 720p when you stream video. If you stream lower resolution it will display still 720p.