Does the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive..........?

Gae

Prominent Member
Reaction score
....upscale standard DVDs to 1080p?

I've got the drive connected to my PC, can't play HD-DVDs yet, :( but have noticed that DVDs look really good via this and on to my projector. My guess is that there is some decent upscaling going on there. For that alone, it's worth the price. Even better when I get some decent software to play HD-DVD discs too.

Any thoughts?

Gae

The HD-DVD drive is just that a drive.

So I can only presume it is the player software on your PC doing the upscaling.

Yes (over VGA but curiously not over component) but then so does the Projector... The AE900 has a fantastic (IMO) SD upscaler built in anyway (plus proper 3:2 pulldown so when you get the HDDVD drive set the 360 to 1080i to let the PJ work its magic).

So is the drive doing anything or is it purely software? Assuming that the projector does the same upscaling for both DVD drive and HD-DVD drive.

I've tried running the same DVD movie via both the normal DVD drive and the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive and there is a definate improvement in quality with the HD-DVD drive when viewed on the AE900. The software I'm using is Power DVD 6.5.
This makes me think that something is definately going on with the drive here and it can't be just purely software related.

Gae

The drive is just a drive - you can even plug it into a PC. The 360 does the software side.

So is the drive doing anything or is it purely software? Outside of the projector upscaling of course.
I've tried running the same DVD movie via both the normal DVD rom drive and the XBox 360 drive and there is a definate improvement in quality with the HD-DVD drive when viewed on the AE900. The software I'm using is Power DVD 6.5.
This makes me think that something is definately going on with the drive here and it can't be purely software related.

Gae

all the drive does is read from the disc the dvd player software decodes it and displays the picture the hd-dvd drive is just that a drive

OK....I get it now!!!!:thumbsup:

You're trying to tell me that the drive is just a drive then......? :D

Gae

OK....I get it now!!!!:thumbsup:

You're trying to tell me that the drive is just a drive then......? :D

Gae

No! It's also a great paper weight, but keep that one to yourself. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom