Does the V+ have Digital Coaxial output (SPDIF) connection?

pmanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi sorry to be a pain, I have a Toshiba 32WL66 and i'm planning to upgrade to V+ when we move in a couple of weeks.

It has been recommended to me that I use a Digital Coaxial output (SPDIF) in preference to the optical TOSLink.

Two questions......

What the hell is a SPDIF? and what is the TOSLink? and which connection does the V+ have?

I'm assuming i'd need a different type of cable to plug all this in!

Planning to run the V+ either directly into the Tosh 32WL66 or via a Onkya 674 amp.

Thanks,

Phill

Many Thanks,

Phill

The V+ has only optical digital out. The coax equivalent is generally considered a better sound (slightly) but is not included - cost cutting probably. Optical should be good enough given only BBCHD offers 5.1 out anyway. Use Dolby Pro Logic for pseudo-surround with 2.0 output.

Wasn't TOSlink Toshiba's name for the optical digital out years ago and the name just sort of stuck?

EDIT: Use an optical cable to your 674 (or better still use HDMI to 674 for picture/sound then route to TV via HDMI)

The V+ has only optical digital out. The coax equivalent is generally considered a better sound (slightly) but is not included - cost cutting probably. Optical should be good enough given only BBCHD offers 5.1 out anyway. Use Dolby Pro Logic for pseudo-surround with 2.0 output.

Wasn't TOSlink Toshiba's name for the optical digital out years ago and the name just sort of stuck?

EDIT: Use an optical cable to your 674 (or better still use HDMI to 674 for picture/sound then route to TV via HDMI)

That's my plan I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right! (and to check there wasn't a better way).

The plan is to get the TV mounted on the wall so I need to get most (if not all) the bases covered!

Phill

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom