Does the V+ have Digital Coaxial output (SPDIF) connection?

pmanson

Hi sorry to be a pain, I have a Toshiba 32WL66 and i'm planning to upgrade to V+ when we move in a couple of weeks.

It has been recommended to me that I use a Digital Coaxial output (SPDIF) in preference to the optical TOSLink.

Two questions......

What the hell is a SPDIF? and what is the TOSLink? and which connection does the V+ have?

I'm assuming i'd need a different type of cable to plug all this in!

Planning to run the V+ either directly into the Tosh 32WL66 or via a Onkya 674 amp.

Thanks,

Phill

Many Thanks,

Phill

BikeNutt

The V+ has only optical digital out. The coax equivalent is generally considered a better sound (slightly) but is not included - cost cutting probably. Optical should be good enough given only BBCHD offers 5.1 out anyway. Use Dolby Pro Logic for pseudo-surround with 2.0 output.

Wasn't TOSlink Toshiba's name for the optical digital out years ago and the name just sort of stuck?

EDIT: Use an optical cable to your 674 (or better still use HDMI to 674 for picture/sound then route to TV via HDMI)

pmanson

The V+ has only optical digital out. The coax equivalent is generally considered a better sound (slightly) but is not included - cost cutting probably. Optical should be good enough given only BBCHD offers 5.1 out anyway. Use Dolby Pro Logic for pseudo-surround with 2.0 output.

Wasn't TOSlink Toshiba's name for the optical digital out years ago and the name just sort of stuck?

EDIT: Use an optical cable to your 674 (or better still use HDMI to 674 for picture/sound then route to TV via HDMI)

That's my plan I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right! (and to check there wasn't a better way).

The plan is to get the TV mounted on the wall so I need to get most (if not all) the bases covered!

Phill

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom