1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the ultimate remote exist?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by PannyAdams, Dec 7, 2004.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For me the Ultimate remote is:

Colour, Touch screen and fully programable.

An online EPG would be good, especially one that would integrate with my devices (Like Sky+ but available on the device rather thanhaving to turn the TV on).

From the remote I'd like to control devices including lights and heating in cupboards and other rooms. I know this could be done via IR extenders and X10 converters. But a more sophisticated solution like RF or WiFI would be even better.

From it I'd like to browser the web.

From it I'd like to be able to browse media content on my PC and stream it to the relevent source i.e. MP3 to amp, MPEG to TV etc.

From scouring these forums, I think that the most versitile remote is a Seimens Simpad runnning Linux or Windows CE and various Software. Can the SimPad do what I want:

What is the browser like on the SimPad - can it view all contrent (e.g. Flash DivX etc?)

Also, what are the expansion slots? I assume you can have a WiFI and an IR Blaster card in at the same time?

Is there any way of controlling devices inside cupboards or in other rooms? Like Pronto's RF Extender or iPronto's NetX thingami?

Does nay of the Romote Software have an EPG? And if so, can you customise this EPG to you own devices? i.e. Change to that channel on your sky box or set that program to record on your Sky+ box?

Last one.....for the minute.....is there any software to browse a PC/media server (Just MP3s at the minute) and select and stream them to my Hifi?

The iPronto comes close, but is let down by the browser not handling active content and it not handing control of media streaming.

Is there anything better I'm missing?

Thanks

BJ

2. krakken

krakken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have decided I need a Siemens Simpad SLC ( but have not yet convinced 'er indoors... ) but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth?..

Is there anything similar / close that is readily available in the UK?

TIA,

Krakken

3. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

The simpad SLC and SL4 / T-Sinus pads utilise a 800x600 resolution screen.

The Simpad SLC has a better quality screen and responds better to screen taps. The SL4 is identical apart from the lack of a DECT module, which really doesn't do anything. The T-Sinus has half the RAM, half the ROM, and half the battery capacity.

Battery life on th SLC/SL4 is 7 hours. I find if I use it as remote control only, I need to charge every week for 3 hours. The T-Sinus took about 2 hours to charge and lasts about 4 hours as a dedicated remote. Battery life is shortened considerably if you use it as a Web Browser.

With regards browsing, I find it more than acceptable, although not as quick as a laptop. This is due to the 206MHz processor.

Application wise, please check www.xlobby.com with regards using the simpad to control your music collection from a PC server. With regards remote control, the only choice is RCII from www.wincesoft.de. Pictures of skins are available on the web site.

With regards IR range for the remote control, I asked Frank at wincesoft.de to include support for the PDA-ir extender cards. This effectively allows the simpad to operate at wider angles, as it was quite directional. The IR card is available from www.ultramote.com, but is complicated in that fact that the company will not allow you to order the card unless you have a 16 digit number, which is requested on installing their software on a PDA. The software will not install on the simpad, so you will need to find someone with a PDA to get a 16 digit number. The other thing you will need is a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adaptor, as the PDA-ir cards are Compact Flash size.

You are either able to use the PDA-ir card (with PCMCIA adaptor) or a Wireless card. With regards Wireless cards and routers, I can offer the following advice. I have a D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router. In combination with this I have used the following cards, with the following comments:-

Cisco Aironet 350 Works with drvier from Cisco. You have to remove it to get the simpad to power up again.

Siemens I-Link Unable to get working. Sold, but Webbesda has it working I believe with another router

Compaq WL100 Unable to get working

Wavelan Silver Works perfectly.

With regards EPG functionality, I use www.radiotimes, and configure the channels that I have for Freeview. This give a crude EPG and has the advantage of not costing anything. I can take a while to load, so be patient.

I hope this helps, and any other questions, just ask...

Cheers, Lee

4. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the Siemens I-Link working with a Linksys router.

5. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK.

So from what I gather the native IR is not great and the extender IR cards are a bit cludgy - Does the PCMCIA to CF addapter fit snuggly or does it cause the IR car to stick out?

Also, how many PCMCIA slots are there? I assume one, which means that you have to swap cards to browser and use as remote?

Finally, there is no neat solution to use WiFi to transmit to an IR blaster like the iPronto's netX device? So there is no way to control devices in cupboards or other rooms?

You'd have thought someone would have made a device that connect to a PC - The PC recieves a WiFi command and outputs a IR command.

Might stick with my ProntoPro and RF setup - No browsing or Media streaming but a very good device.

Thanks

BJ

6. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes it does fit well - only the tip of the IR sticks out

Yes, there is only one.

There is a device but I don't remember the name - available from the US or on ebay. It's basically a USB IR sender. I'm not sure how complex it would be to send the commands over WiFi to the PC then blast them out on IR. I'm planning to investigate this as a simpad solution when I have some free time!

Regards,
    William

7. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info. Not sure simpad offers everything I need. Might stick with my Pronto for now.

8. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Another vote for the Simpad SL4 - used in conjunction with RCII and a PDAir it's an awesome piece of kit.

9. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  11. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

I'm going to make a lot of simpad owners very happy this morning.

I've received news from Frank at wincesoft, that he has schematics from a customer who has built his own IR extender that interfaces to the simpad, and leaves the PCMCIA card slot free for a LAN card. I have the pictures of the unit installed on e-mail, and it is extremely neat. The unit requires the simpad to be opened and the IR extender connected internally. Details are scarce at the moment, as I only have pictures, but have been promised the schematics.

The IR extender sits in the u shape slot on the back of the simpad, next to the PCMCIA slot.

More news when I get it, but you will hear it first here!

Cheers, Lee

12. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow

Sounds good. Let me know when you hear more.

Thanks

BJ

13. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds very cool - any chance of posting or emailing the pictures?

14. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could anyone tell me where I can buy a new one of these pads and remote extenders from?

15. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  16. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Neither could I.....there are a few going on e-bay....one in the UK is currently only on £20! They are quite big 15" screen.

If you follow the link through to the software, there a a few PDF manuals. The software looks quite good, but not as good as the Pronto or the standard PDA or Simpad stuff.

I might just upgrade to a ProntoPro NG (currently £299 on e-bay from the US) or to an iPronto, haven't decide which until the technology catches up with my ultimate requirements.

17. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Will,
    PM me with your e-mail address, and I can sort you out with some pictures.

Hi Mikey,
    The best advice is to keep an eye out on ebay... They come up quite frequently.

The simpad has long since been discontinued by Siemens, but support pages are readily available in German and Polish (a strong market for the Simpad). This would explain a lack of UK retailers. Running the test through www.freetranslation.com can help. If I'm struggling, I tend to ask Frank at wincesoft.de for help, his native tongue is German, and he speaks perfect English. He's always been great with e-mail replies.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Lee

18. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi,

I've been looking at some form of intergrated remote and have been quite curious about the simpad, but in my situation, while some of the kit is in the room, most of it will be in the next room (kit area). There is the option of an IR distribution system, but i do like the idea of having a two way remote, and i'll be using a PC with a projector anyway.

Using some form of wireless PDA/WebPad/Simpad to interface with the PC for DVD/scaling purposes, then use a USB UIRT to squirt out IR commands from the PC with a combination of NetRemote/Girder being the software glue that links it all together. I'll probably still need some IR distribution system to get IR to my PJ (barco BG801s) above my head and the IR lights (Funtronix p400) which i'll wire inside the control plate. I may even have some form of network functionality over other boxes in my house (Squeezebox, X-10 interface)

My only Q is whats the front box i type commands into, the Simpad, from what i've heard is a touch slow, the PDA's are a bit small, the WebPad looks good, but i want one you don't need a pen for (active/passive digitizer i forget which)...Ebay looks curious, but quite what ???

However my rooms are still in build, as is most of our house, and i never get the time to do things....so the remote while a continuing curiosity is not a pressing problem. Yet. :D

URLS :
    http://www.promixis.com/ - Netremote / Girder
    http://www.usbuirt.com/ - USB UIRT
    http://www.the-dreaming.co.uk - Home cinema project.

19. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Simpad ir extender built in sounds brilliant. Just hope it is easily done, or someone here can pre-fabricate them so they are easy for us plebs to fit, though since my kit is only about 6 feet from my sitting position, I was led to believe the extender would not really be necessary.

20. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee, I have seen them on ebay but the guy you pointed out now has 1 negative for not delivering...

Im in the same boat as above.. all my gear is in a cubby and i use a pronto with a remote extender at the moment.. would like a wifi - ir blaster solution so Im not constrained to an accute angle to switch a dvd off :)

21. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the one who left the negative. I paid on the 12th November and have still not received, but after my latest actions, will not bore you with details, things look promising. I have been told it was sent today and I have a tracking no. so if it arrives in 3 to 5 days Ican let you know if it is safe to use him.

22. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered from the same guy, he gave me reasons for the cock up and said the same as you.. so ive took the risk.. I figure we can share the petrol to go over and kick his butt if he doesnt deliver.. what payment method did you use?

23. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mine took over a month - so a bit slower than yours raydundas - I'd be very surprised if this guy doesn't deliver.

24. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bidpay. As allpay could not use my Business Visa apparently. Fingers crossed, though I could do with finding more samples of remote controll II screens to fiddle with when I get it. have already bought a WiGi card for it as well.