1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Technics A10 DVD Player play DVD-R discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thewomble, May 17, 2005.

1. thewomble

thewomble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any owners of a Technics DVD A10 player been able to get the player to play DVD-R discs?

A quick google seems it indicate the Technics DVD A10D does, not sure if this is same has mine but mine it refuses to play DVD-R discs. The discs work okay on the PC.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    That could be for any number of reasons, such as the way it was recorded or a file included that is not normally found on a DVD. For instance I have a disk which contains a playlist file amongst the standard files. My two Panasonic players and the Sony I use at work flatly refuse to play it. A cheap portable TV/DVD combo and my £600 Denon player will play it. All will play in a PC. Other considerations are file naming conventions and if capital letters have been used.

3. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is this the same as the Panasonic DVD-A7 ?
    I found this would play DVDRs but only if I write then at no greater than 4x.

4. thewomble

thewomble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cable Monkey,

All the files are in uppercase including extensions and I am using Nero 6m Ulltra.

David,

I believe the A10 does share components of panny A7. Not sure what speed burnt them at, they are 8x discs, I think I used 6x, will try 4x, and report back but I did try a DVD-RW at 1x but this didn't work either.
    You say you used DVDR I assume this is a DVD-R and not a DVD+R?

Cheers

5. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    aye DVD-R - DVD-RW didn't work at all.
    I think DVD-R at higher speeds did work but it got all blocky and crapped out half way through the film.

I'm using DataWrite Grey Top at the moment. Not used any other brand since these were recommended to me and they work.

6. thewomble

thewomble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

Just tried 4x :thumbsdow didn't work.

The discs I am using are Ridisc Xtreme (Ritek G05 dye), like I know what that means.

I think I will buy some "DataWrite Grey Top" and report back.

Cheers

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It's the dye that is important. Different brands of disc can have the same dye. So, if the Ridisc Xtreme don't work, don't get anymore G05 dye discs. Also, try burning at 2x as that can make a difference sometimes.

8. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  9. thewomble

thewomble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

I tried the discs I have burnt in my Mums Panasonic vx10 and they work fine.

Dave, I did order the Ridisc Xtreme discs from this company. I have ordered some DataWrite Grey disc and going to give them a whirl, will report back.

If these don't work I will just play them on my PC.

If anybody interested SVP have reduced the shipping costs for this week only) http://www.svp.co.uk (http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk)

10. thewomble

thewomble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anybody thats interested the Technics does play DVD-R discs.

I can confirm it will play RiDisc Extreme discs using the G05 dye and (has suggested by Dave) the Datawrite Grey Top disc but have to set my software to burn at 1x, anything higher it does not play on my machine (but it does on other players).

Thanks to all that responded.