1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the subwoofer HAVE to be placed on the floor?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Due to my room arrangement, a table comes in the way of my REL Q150E sub. I have therefore put the sub on top of some firm/sturdy furniture (ie an old subwoofer no longer in use) to get it above that obstructing table's level. It sounds/feels fine but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. As people normally place their subs onthe floor, I wondered if there's a reson for subs to be placed on the floor rather than being raised on furniture. Will I be missing on some low notes by raising the sub, in case subs use the floor to reinforce the bass?

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Raising the sub off the floor cab actually improve the sound quality but it needs to be seated on something fairly solid. The reason that people don't do it is aesthetical more than any other reason.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm going to be moving house soon - one that I've seen has a stone fireplace that surround the fire (well, both sides of the fire) - these are like big stone shelves (where you could place a TV for emaple...), if i do move in then I will consider placing my sub in one corner, and perhaps my kit on the other...but I need to take some measurements tho... :thumbsup:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    refreshing to see someone approaching house buying with the right priorities... location, location, location my ar$e.... sub location, sub location, sub location more like... :D

...PJ

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got a pair of subs with one on top of the other so not exactly on the floor.

As has been said, the important thing is that it needs to be located solidly.

6. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    EvilJohn2, are BOTH your subs switched on, or (like mine) the bottom one is not functioning and just used as a stand? I wondered if turning both subs on will cause any cancelling out if they're so close to each other?

Thanks.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Both of them are turned on and both receiving an identical LFE signal. With them colocated like this they will constructively interfere in the horizontal plane so basically makes the whole thing louder. If I play one out of phase with the other then there is very little discernable output at a distance from the pair.

It did take a while to get them both calibrated to the same volume but although I havn't EQ'd them yet the difference is quite noticeable. There's simply power by the bucketload now particularly in what would otherwise be very difficult scenes to reproduce due to extreme LFE content. :)

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I went round to a friend's house recently after he'd redecorated his lounge.
    Apparently SWMBO had declared that the best place for his sub was on the equipment support beside his hi-fi equipment - on seeing this i was a bit shocked, but kept quiet.

However, it has improved the sound! The sub is a GLL Le Bass which has some superb grunt for it's size but is a bit boomy, and lifting it up off the floor has taken the edge off this - it sounds really good now.

Adam.

9. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for all your replies. I was noticing a great improvement with my subwoofer raised to a higher altitude, but wasn't sure if there was any disadvantage I didn't know about. I can feel vibrations and "grunt" without needing to turn the volume as loud as it was when I had the sub on the floor. The overall effect is a lot less boomy and sounds much cleaner.
    :clap:

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You know what this means chaps? :D

Subwoofer stands to add to the speaker ironwork, TV stand and system rack. SWMBO's worldwide will be trembling in their slippers. :blush:

I can almost hear the stand manufacturers scribbling furiously at their drawing boards. Nah, that's out of date. Now they just wheel their mouses around and a subwoofer stand comes out of the printer. :eek:

Nimby ;)

11. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    I have mine stacked...

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Shodan, are the mopads any good for putting between the subs? I'm wondering about getting some to do the same job. Also tempted to use them at the base as I'm using doorstops for feet so do they actually prevent as much vibration at low frequencies as people claim?

13. kevtek

kevtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you don't have to place subs directly on the floor.
    Put them whereever you like.
    My advice would be 'let your ears be your guide'.
    If you fly in the face of convension but achieve a great sound quality
    you are not wrong.