Does the sub work during normal stereo?

ddaddy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a sub/sat speaker system to run through my sherwood amp, but read somewhere that i should check to see if the amp uses the sub during normal stereo music output. Or is the sub only used during 5.1?

cheers

I am no expert, but I think that this is dependant on your reciever.

On my Denon reciever for instance, I have a Stereo and Direct modes. The Stereo mode uses the cross-over to activate the Sub, and the Direct mode sends all to the two front speakers.

On my denon 3802 even in direct mode the sub is still used

don't use source direct on your amp if you have satellites. Many satellites won't take to kindly to the full range signal sent by source direct... stick to the stereo setting and this will preserve your speaker "small" settings.

My sub works on my Denon 2802 when playing CD's & MD's etc through Direct mode.

And jolly fine sounding it is too !! :D

Originally posted by petrolhead
On my denon 3802 even in direct mode the sub is still used

You can turn the sub off in Direct Mode if you want to, just go into the individual channel level settings for that mode and turn the SW channel down to -12 and then OFF.

Denon give you this option if you have floorstanders or don´t want to use the sub for any reason.

Direct mode sends full range signals to the front channels regardless of speaker settings in the main set up menu.

Hm

Will try that Jase.

Whats the weather like there ?

Originally posted by petrolhead
Hm

Will try that Jase.

Whats the weather like there ?

Blue Sky & sun (well not at the moment because its night time:D ). Cold though................ 15 degrees:p :D

Just thought i'd come back and answer my own question for future reference for people.

The speakers i was interested in, where the mission FS1 set.

I got them delivered today, and in the manual it says they have a built in crossover, so no need to even connect the sub up if you dont want to and it still works.

Obviously, i'll connect the sub for 5.1, but for stereo it'll work either way.

The FS1 speakers are not full range and will probably sound terrible without the sub connected as there will be no lower mid range or bass.

even with the sub not connected to the sub output on your amp, the sub still works. Theres a built in crossover that i assume sends the bass to the sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom