• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does the SSD Swing It?

Dannyr95

Novice Member
So my friend is looking at a new laptop and he has considered the three below:
DELL Inspiron 15 7000 15.6" Gaming Laptop
ASUS K501UX 15.6" Laptop - Grey
DELL Inspiron 15 7000 15.6" Laptop - Silver

From what I can gather I suggested ruling out the second link. Although it does have 4K and an SSD, the processor is older and inferior to the others. The first link has a far better processor, a good enough amount of RAM and a very good graphics card.

So between link 1 and 3. The main difference really is 8GB extra RAM in Link 3 and the SSD, however the first link has an older albeit more powerful processor. Does the SSD make up for the inferior processor?

He would like to use it for some gaming but not high end gaming and then just general use.

liquidsoap89

If those were the choices I was sticking to, I'd choose #3. I'm not sure how much benefit you'd see from a quad core processor in normal everyday use (though the difference definitely could be noticeable), but the difference between an HDD and SSD is immense (even more so when it's a 5400 rpm HDD). Plus the dual-core in #3 is clocked ever so slightly higher, which is unfortunately still (again, ever so slightly) beneficial for apps that only utilize a single core. I've also been very happy with my new IPS monitor, which #3 also has.

That being said, #1 can install more RAM to match the 16GB in #3, and you could presumably either switch the HDD for an SSD, or install an SSD alongside the HDD... So if your friend wanted to spend more money, #1 might be the better choice in the long run.

Alpha One Seven

I went with an ASUS. It is a gaming laptop with a 1080 in it and it was a bit more money, but I am quite happy with it. I have it hooked to the bedroom TV to stream Amazon movies to and to watch movies from our NAS. I think ASUS makes pretty good products. I also have a few of their monitors.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom