1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Sony STR-DB940 handle RGB passthru?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by USAgent, Jun 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I own 2 Sony KV-36FS70s. One downstairs connected straight to a digital box via RGB, and the second upstairs connected through the Sony STR-DB940 to another DigiBox and DVD player.

I have just realised that upstairs, the TV is not receiving an RGB signal from the NTL DigiBox, only composite. If I connect a scart straight from it to the Digibox it does work... I'm confused as to why the AMP isn't letting the RGB all the way through.

Please tell me this is possible? I only have 1 RGB SCART on the KV-36FS70, but I need to connect both the DVD and DigiBox through the amp to it. I want all my audio and video going through the amp to make life easy.

Any help MUCH appreciated.

P.S I am using top-notch interconnects, which are SCART to S-VHS.

[ 15-06-2001: Message edited by: USAgent ]

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little confused. If you are using SCART to S-Video interconnects, why is your TV receiving a composite signal??

Ideally any video devices ought to be connected directly to the display device (TV/Projector) via RGB or Component to produce the highest quality image. Composite video by comparison is VERY poor unless an extremely high quality source is used. S-Video is a happy medium that the 940 can route through its video switching. If you wish to preserve the amp's video switching then you will have to stick to S-Video.

It is better to daisy chain the SCARTS from the DVD and STB (both set to output RGB) into the one input on your TV, assuming one of the sources has SCART pass through via a second socket. Unfortunately you will have to switch the audio manually, but this isn't much hassle really.

The other option, if the 940 has component video switching (I think it does, can't remember) is to output RGB via SCART to RCA phono plugs. Connect these up to the component video inputs and route the monitor out back into SCART and on to the TV.

However, not many people to my knowledge use the last option and I haven't confirmed it will work with the 940 so be careful!!

Hope that helps, Matt

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    you seem very confused about what leads and sockets carry which types of signal.

I think I am right in saying that:-

s-vhs (s-video) leads and sockets dont carry RGB. That's why you have SCART leads and Sockets. (there are other connectors like BNC - but domestic equipment doesnt have them)

Your SCART to s-video lead is probably taking the composite feed from the SCART. It isnt taking the RGB.

Why aren't you connecting the digibox to the dvd (or the other way round) and then to the TV, all using SCART - then you would get RGB.

The 940 doesnt have SCART, it only switches s-video or composite. It isnt even receiving the RGB, so it cant switch it or pass it through.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, you want to connect loop the digibox and DVD into one RGB scart on yer telly. I assume you are running phonos from the screen related outs on your telly to the TV/SAT channel on your amp. Trouble is with this is that if you set this channel to AFD it will not process tv signals into prologic. I have my DVD connect to my 940 with a digital coax cable, then you can set tv/sat to normal surround and the DVD channel to AFD. I also connect the DVD player audio outs to the 940's CD channel and have it on analogue only so I don't have to listen to all the processing rubbish.

What am I talking about?

Dunno

S

5. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew! Thanks guys - I think I understand a bit better.

"The other option, if the 940 has component video switching (I think it does, can't remember) is to output RGB via SCART to RCA phono plugs. Connect these up to the component video inputs and route the monitor out back into SCART and on to the TV." This is how I had it setup - both the DVD and STB were going to the Receiver, and out through S-VHS into the RGB Scart on the TV. I had hoped to receive an RGB signal, but it gets lost somewhere..

Having checked my DVD player, it does indeed have an extra SCART socket marked external, so presumably I can daisychain the STB into it as you describe. :)

I'll try it out - thanks!