Does the Sony KP44PX3U rear projector need lamps ????

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cinetudes, Mar 27, 2006.

1. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi everyone,

i'm brand new on this forum and i have a very important question to all the owners of a rear projector Sony KP44PX3U.
    I have an offer from a shop in Jersey Island for that TV but the guy tells me that despite the fact that this rear projector is supposed to be a CRT one, it needs 3 lamps (£200 each) in order to work.
    I tried everywhere on the net but i couldn't find any info on that so i'll be really thankfull if one of you could answer on this.

I already have a DLP projector Sharp XV Z9000 of which i am really pleased but is not compatible with my small flat and i hate LCD and cheap Plasma image. My budget is quite tight and on Jersey it's now impossible to find a CRT TV and only one DLP rear projector is available for £2000 while the Sony CRT rear projector is £699.

If there are lamps to change in the TV, do you know how long they are supposed to last ? Because the one i can buy is a demo model that was running all day long for a year (so if it"s a real CRT no worries, but if there are lamps :thumbsdow ). And another thing, we have found nowhere any indication of an hour display for the lamps (in the menus) nor any mention of them in the manual.

I hope that i'll be able to have an answer here because i'm going crazy whith that and i'm really fed up with my 9 years old 4/3 28 crt tv (after a 3 m diagonal widescreen superb image with my projector !!!! ). :lease: :lease:

Thanks in advance

Stefan

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Its a CRT mate, hours used is within the engineers service menu

3. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Scooby Doo !!

So you confirm that this Tv is using some lamps then ? Because if it is so i won't buy and wait to go for a DLP rear projector.

I found on another post how to get in the service menu but i still don't know for sure if it's using 3 lamps and how long they are suppose to last.

Please, if somebody could give an answer for that it would be really great guys.

Thanks again Scooby Doo :thumbsup:

Stefan

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    A CRT rear projection TV uses three small CRTs deep inside the set to produce the three colour images. Each CRT has a lens on it which throws the tiny image via a mirror onto the screen.

So the three "lamps" (£200 each) are actually these three CRTs. And fitting a new one (or a set actually) isn't a DIY job. At £600 plus labour presumably, this is way, way more than such a TV is worth nowadays.

Unlike direct-view CRTs, because these tubes are small and driven at high brightness levels, they can easily deteriorate over time, with phosphor burn or more general dimming. How long this takes depends on many factors so it's impossible to give a useful answer. There are plenty of other things that can go wrong with CRT RP, including loss of convergence etc.

The long and the short of it is..........check it out carefully before you buy.

5. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot LV246, really !!!

So now i know what i have to take in consideration. One more question if i may. Do you think that a demo TV that was on use 8 hours a day for a year could still be a good investment ?
    I'm going to the TV shop right now to try to negociate the price of the TV and i still don't know what to do.

So what would be your advice (i know this is a stupid question but i'm so stuck) ?

Thanks again

Stefan :lease:

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Can't really answer. If they are almost giving it away then maybe.

FWIW, I'd put the value of a pristine, new, 44 inch CRT RP at, say GBP800. Perhaps a tad more for the Sony badge (which isn't really worth anything). So, I'd suggest for a well used one, you should be looking at paying half this, and/or getting them to provide a free, good warranty. Just my opinion - no other basis for this. But don't be persuaded by any claims that it "was" (a larger amount) - it might well ahve been, but the prices of all this type of thing are plumetting all the time so the value needs to compare with what else you might buy today. Such as a brand new boxed 50 inch LCD RP - from Sony - at a UK mainland price of GBP999 + VAT.

If you do go to investigate, you need to check:

1: With a plain white screen on display, for uneven brightness, residual images, odd dark spots. Look especially in the corners where logos and clocks might have been.

2: If you can get them to do it, get the TV to display a white criss-cross pattern and check the convergence (the alignment of the three coloured images). Again, check especially in the corners.

If these are OK, then get a DVD player connected up via RGB and ensure your overall pleasure with it.

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    My KP44 PS2 is still going strong, is used daily (kids) has no screenburn and people who have seen it who have decent plasma's set up correctly are impressed by the picture. Although I have calibrated focused, removed the SVM wire and chaged the lens stack. It really is great.

8. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LV426,

really thanks again :thumbsup:

I just came back from the shop and tomorrow i bring down my dvd player to try the tv with one of my dvd.
    The thing is that i don't like at all the LCD image (looks like a computer not like a cinema) and apart from the top of the range plasma i've never been really completely pleased by plasma images.
    With my Sharp projector i'm used to a really cinema like image and the closest thing i could find from that (apart from a DLP rear projector) is this Sony TV.
    Plus one thing is really annoying with being on an island is that no website ships big objects like tv down there and local shops offers are really limited. So i feel really stuck to buy something good and even if i'm sure i could find something on mainland for a better price quality ratio, this TV is the best thing i can afford right now, unfortunately.
    I'm french and for a moment i thought going to France and buy something down there but then again no warranty.

I don't know if i can find a plain white image on any of my dvd and the shop doesn't seem technical enough to have a white cross pattern.
    But apparently this tv has an automatic convergences adjustment system.
    I was thinking of bringing a THX DVD and at least check the TV with the adjustment test THX offer with.
    Do you think it has any proper value and will be enough to judge of the quality of the TV.

In fact i won't be watching anything else than dvd with that TV. I don't watch Tv since i bought my projector almost 4 years ago now and i have 1500 dvd and cinema is my real passion.
    I'm gonna try some "old" dvd with a worse compression some black and white dvd's too and try to spot an "all white" image.

Otherwise the TV is in perfect condition and i'm sure it's been treated well.

Scooby Doo, do you have a method to get into the ingeneers service menu because the one i thought i had didn't work this morning. I'd really like to konw how many hours the TV has been used and i'm waiting an answer from Sony to know how long the "guns" are supposed to last.

So if you have other advices and weak points to check on this Tv, thank you !!

I'm waiting for your answer and thanks again for your kindness and sharing your knowledge.

Stefan

Ps: i can't wait, i dreamed about this new TV last night and whatever happens i'm making my decision tomorrow morning. :smashin: I'm a dvd critic and i'm running a website in french about cinema (with 12 different writers) and i'm also writing articles on cinema, so this TV is more than just a set to watch Tv shows but i see it more as a work tool and is really important to me as i can't use my beloved projector :D

9. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks again Scooby Doo,

i did'nt see your message while a was writing the one before.
    I was also really impressed by the image on the Sony and as i said i'm really going for natural and cinema image and i don't really mind about the highest definition or ratio contrast (as a cinema is around 2000:1).

How old is your Tv and how many hours have you used it ?

And again if you have a method to go inside the ingeneers menu and can tell where i can find how many hours the set has been used it'll be really great.

Stefan

Ps: can you calibrate this TV yoursel and what is the SVM wire ?

10. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Make them on your computer and burn to CD.

11. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Bat-man,

i'm sorry to be such a pain but do you have a simple method to do that cause i'll be really interested ;)

Thanks

Stefan

12. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
  13. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm good on the KP 44 PS2 not studied your model, what procedure have you used to get into service the service menu? Will check hours used tonight.

14. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You are gret guys !!!

Bat-man, i downloaded the images and i'm going to use them tomorrow morning.
    I see on the last one there is mention of overscan wich was a massive problem with my Sharp Projector until i found the method to "overpass" it and i can tell you that on some movies a top of the range projector like a Sharp XVZ9000 was "hiding" almost 20 % of the normal image, unbelievable. And also it changes a lot depending on the movies so before each screening i recalibrate my projector to avoid overscan and i hope this TV won't be the same nightmare.

Do you have any more advices than LV426 for thing to check and look for with these tests ?

Scooby-doo,

i tried this method :

First a reminder for those that need it how to get your set into service mode.

Starting with the set in Stand By

Press i+ 5 VOL+ [] The final one is the teletext off button.

The set should now come on with TT displayed.
    Press Menu
    Scroll (with up/down arrows) to ScanRate
    Press Right arrow to enter ScanRate menu
    Display reads 00h
    Press OK

I took it because it was metionning display read hours but it says in the beginning that it is service mode not the ingeneer mode.

If you have another method or some advice it'll be really cool !

Thanks again for your help guys i feel more confident now :clap:

Stefan

15. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hours used are within the monitoring area of the menu for PS2 but your chassis is quite different I think. Best is to try and find a service manual for your TV

16. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry Scooby Doo but do you have any idea where i could find that ?

Because apart from that forum i have no idea where to look.

Stefan

17. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Come on just a bit more help pleaaassseeee !!

Who knows how to get into the service menu of the Sony KP44PX3U and can give me the method ??

And who knows how long the guns are supposed to last in theory ?

Stefan

18. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  19. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks agains Scooby Doo !!

They have the service documentation for the Tv i want and the price is reasonnable so i'm gonna try them.

Stef

20. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Current hours used is 10,019hrs & 10 minutes. Picture is as good as they day I got it, infact it is better due to all the tweaks I have done. Here is another site.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/15350/sony_KP-44PX2.html

manual is free here but not the PX3, note it is multipart download. Also it seems there are 4 manuals listed for the PX3 on the above site you have the service, schematic,supplement for service (repair) and also a correction supplement!

21. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    how to get into PX2

22. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    hours used

23. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Scooby Doo, i'll repeat myself but really thank you for all this !!

Do you think i shall take all the manuals on the other site ? And what do u think is a correction supplement ?

I just finished watching a really good movie (Mona Lisa by Neil Jordan) on my lousy TV and i'm more determined than ever to get a big screen with a nice image, i'm really missing a big quality image.

Stefan

24. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Wont harm, a lot of the PX2 is similar to the PS2 so hopefully PX3 is the same. Perhaps the PX3 is the PX2 with freeview not at all aware of these 2 models. Search for posts from me for RPTV advice. Also posts by demon & nathan silly will get you on the right track. Also I remember some issues with streaking on a PX model search for this as well.

If you do get the TV try to remove the front reflective screen and disable SVM you will find tips for this within posts by myself.

If you get any good DVD's remember who helped you!

25. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just came back from the shop and i'm really ****** off because the boss was a real ass.
    I checked the service menu and it said 10501 hours which means that the TV has been on at least for 3 years more than 8 hours a day. When i asked to see the boss to try to get a better price the guy didn't like to be caught trying to sell a product that was supposed to be a demo but a recent one.

He told me this menu thing was **** and that the Tv was almost new and that the price was really good for that and that i was a pain in the ass. :mad:

I'm really disapointed to see that as the garagist with the car, tv sellers are trying to get rid of "old" stuff for high price. I told the guy that this Tv is sold around £800 on the internet tax and shipment included he told me it was not true that the price was still £1400 for this tv everywhere and that i don'y know what i was talking about (and it is the same guy that was telling me that there was lamps in this Tv).

So do one of you by any chance got a few adress on the net for good shops (i'll check if they deliver on Jersey Island) and especially a good product (DLP or CRT rear projector around lets say £1000 max) ?

Stefan :(

Ps: does somebody know about a Samsung DLP rear projector SP50L7HXX and is £2000 a reasonnable price for this model ?

26. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry Scooby Doo i forgot to reply to your last message !!

Thanks a lot again for all your advices and hopefully you gave me lots of tips with which i manage to check that this Tv was a rip off. And i almost forgot to check the hours used because the convergences were perfect, no overscan and a perfect white image too so i was really happy and ready to sign the cheque before finding that the tv has been used a lot.

Stefan

27. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Cinetudes.
    Did you use the convergence and other files?

28. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Check on Ebay do a rearch for rear projection. Often there are new Toshiba WH36 series tv's that go for very reasonable amounts. YOu can get these in 42,51,57 inch varieties. I have a 57 Wh36 and it is a very good TV. make sure it is the WH36 series and not the inferior Wh46. I am sure you can get it shipped to yourself.

29. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Cinetude, you are not a PITA - walk away!

The tubes in front and rear projectors are highly stressed and vulnerable to abuse. The lifetime for CRT tubes is generally considered to be about 10000 hours, but this varies greatly depending on use. Some are worn out by 3000 hrs, and some are hardly worn at 10000.

Somebody using one of these TVs at home probably wouldn't give it a hard time, but a display unit in a shop is likely to have the brightness and contrast set high to make a reasonable impression in a perhaps brightly-lit showroom.

£699 would be a fair price for a new one, but if you are likely to need to spend another £600 for new tubes in the near future, then it makes no sense. I'm a fan of CRT, so I'm not going to suggest that a DLP RPTV will be better, but remember that this Sony is probably standard-definition only and is far from future-proofed.

The Samsung you mention is well-regarded around these parts. £2000 is a bit high these days - £1700 seems to be the best price on the mainland at the moment, but you ought to able to get resonable 45" - 50" DLP and LCD RPTVs for around the thousand pound mark now.

Nick

30. cinetudes

cinetudes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello guys,

Bat-man, yes i used the files you made for me and everything was perfect so that added to my rage, thanks again for that.

Scooby-Doo, i'm checking right now for the Toshiba in 42" because i only have 87 feet of lenght between my tv and my screen (for now cause i plan to move before this summer).

I have problems for now to find Shops that would sell me the Toshiba (and insure it for a year minimum) because i live on Jersey. By the way if you have name for some internet shops that would deliver to Jersey i'll be really pleased.

I have found only one right now and it's Micro Direct that has lots of customers from Jersey but will charge me £97 to ship a 52 Kg projector which is really expansive. But hopefully they offer really really good prices and as i don't pay VAT being on Jersey it's very interesting (ex Samsung LP50L7H would cost me £1447 delivered) plus they offer a special Warranty ( 1 year collect and return and slight box damages).

Thanks to Welwynnick for all your good advices too. I think then that Micro Direct price for the Samsung is very interesting but don't you think that only 85 ft between my couch and the screen is a bit short for a 50 " screen ?
    With my sharp projector i watch a 115 ft screen with a 160 ft distance so if the distances are the same i should be a bit close but good.

What do u all think about that ?

I also have another good option with the Sagem Axium HD-D45H which would cost me £1020 delivered with Micro Direct and has also excellent reviews and is a bit smaller (which will be good for me).

As my wife was really disapointed that i didn't buy the Sony rear projector and is ok for a small credit i don't know which one of those two to choose.

Thanks again for your help and advices guys !!

Stefan

ps: first thing, what do u think of Micro Direct ?
    And sorry Scooby-Doo but i don't find any shop that could sell me the Toshiba unless you know a webshop that delivers and does warranty for Jersey.