Does the Sony KDL-40X2000 feature HDMI 1.3?

Urban Splash

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying this, just wondered if it had HDMI 1.3? If not, does any TV in the UK feature 1.3 at this time?

Cheers

I wanted to find this out about my 40W2000 the other day, I called Sony technical on 08705 111 999 and they confirmed it only has 1.2.

You might want to try calling them for an answer about the X but i bet it only has 1.2 also.

Check this thread out.

I must say it's very frustrating. With sony including 1.3 in the ps3, you would think they would have a screen out to go with it!

I do believe it's a glaring oversight that manufacturers are not starting to include 1.3 already.

I really do think this will make me hold on until the next wave of screen early next year. It seems that forking out upwards of 2 grand right now when 1.3 is so close to be introduced will be madness.

It is noteworthy that the majority seem to think 1.3 is not important, but in order to really future proof, you need 1.3 and 1080 in my opinion

This comes up once in awhile. Nothing is going to actually make much use of HDMI 1.3 - I have absolutely no idea why AV news sites started reporting on this as if it was some sort of important upgrade.

Can I ask, why do you specifically want a TV with 1.3 other than to have the latest version?

1.3 isnt that "future proof"...all you need is a 1.0,1.1,and a decent surround system..you can still get all the so called "1.3 additions" that way..
1080p is already here,1.3 is still a bit of a red herring..

This comes up once in awhile. Nothing is going to actually make much use of HDMI 1.3 - I have absolutely no idea why AV news sites started reporting on this as if it was some sort of important upgrade.

Can I ask, why do you specifically want a TV with 1.3 other than to have the latest version?

Lyris - I couldn't agree more. Unless someone can enlighten me to the contrary just what good will it do over 1.2? Are all the non 1.3 sets going to be obsolete?

Explain to me why 1.3 is a red herring?

*Higher speed: Though HDMI has more than twice the bandwidth needed to support all HDTV formats, HDMI will increase its single-link bandwidth to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color and high frame rates.
*Deep color: HDMI will support 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit color depths for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
*Greater PC/CE convergence: HDMI will be enhanced for easier integration into low voltage, AC-coupled PC graphics controllers, cementing HDMI’s position as the de facto standard digital multimedia interface enabling true convergence across PC and CE platforms. The HDMI Founders also support compatibility between HDMI and the Unified Display Interface (UDI), the HDMI-compatible digital video interface for PC displays announced recently by a group of leading PC technology makers.
*New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless HDTV connectivity, HDMI will offer a new, smaller form-factor connector option. Since HDMI offers the highest quality digital audio and video on a single connection, such devices will be also benefit from a reduced connector count.
*Lip Sync: CE devices are employing increasingly complex digital signal processing of high-resolution video and audio formats to enhance the clarity and detail of the content. As a result, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI will incorporate features to enable this synchronization to be done automatically by the devices with greater accuracy.
*New compressed audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS), HDMI will add additional support for new compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

Explain to me why 1.3 is a red herring?
Because there's no display device out there, nor none in the near future that can possibly take advantage of those specifications, so even if a current panel comes with a HDMI 1.3 input it'll be wasted on it even if its connected to some source that can also take full advantage of HDMI 1.3, which is also debateable. Its like buying Schumacher's F1 GP car to run up to Tescos and back. ;)

I disagree, there is a source of 1.3, the ps3. So in order to take full advantage of the capabilities of the ps3, it worth waiting a couple of months if you are investing up to £2000 on a TV

As always, there is an ever increasing rush of technological advances these days, all seeming to offer bigger and better increases....By the time version 1.3 has been released, it will be then 1.4 etc etc with its must have improvements that will render everything before it obsolete (sic)....

Personally getting more than a little fed up of all the constant changes and lack of stability in the market these days, I appreciate everything changes, but its all going too fast these days....

*Higher speed: Though HDMI has more than twice the bandwidth needed to support all HDTV formats, HDMI will increase its single-link bandwidth to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color and high frame rates.
It's very unlikely we'll see HDTV sets with resolutions higher than 1920x1080p. Therefore this part isn't strictly needed on a TV. On an ultra hi-res computer monitor, sure, but not on a TV.

*Deep color: HDMI will support 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit color depths for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
Nothing (except apparently the PS3) supports this - not HD DVD or Blu-ray either. I don't think the difference will be that huge.

*New compressed audio formats: In addition to HDMI's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS), HDMI will add additional support for new compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
Neat, but on most TV's stereo speakers? This is something to look out for on an amp, not a TV.

*Lip Sync: CE devices are employing increasingly complex digital signal processing of high-resolution video and audio formats to enhance the clarity and detail of the content. As a result, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI will incorporate features to enable this synchronization to be done automatically by the devices with greater accuracy.
Again, useful feature, but want to bet manufacturers don't bother adding it to their TV's menus?

I disagree, there is a source of 1.3, the ps3. So in order to take full advantage of the capabilities of the ps3, it worth waiting a couple of months if you are investing up to £2000 on a TV
You didn't read my post properly. I said even if or when a source that could take advantage of 1.3 were available, I'll take your word about the PS3, unless the display itself can also take advantage of the spec and no current or future displays, at least not in the near-future, will then its a pointless addition.

This question about HDM 1.3 is really starting to sound like a broken record: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428198

Anyone able to confirm this?

Also neilmcl, you need to chill out. If i'm sounding like a broken record, don't reply to the post

There are many peoples on other thread confirming this but the Samsung F series web site doesn't mention 1.3 hdmi or 1.2 it just says HDMI.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Also neilmcl, you need to chill out. If i'm sounding like a broken record, don't reply to the post
I'm perfectly chilled mate, just trying to help you from falling into the HDMI 1.3 marketing trap.

The reason why I'm interested in HDMI v1.3 is due to the high bandwidth.

All monitors above 1680 x 1050 cannot display 75Hz or 72Hz via DVI. At default 60Hz, PAL videos jump every half a sec and 24fps videos judder. So, I'm hoping that most HDMI v1.3 enabled GFX and monitors/HDTVs to display wide range of refresh rates at very high resolutions.

PS: The added color bits dont mean :censored: on LCDs cos it can only display 8bit per shade (24bit in total)

I appreciate all this advice. I just want to get my purchase spot on. 2 months down the line, I dont want to regret not waiting. Anyway, I know you could wait for ever, so I will bite the bullet after xmas where hopefully prices may have come down slightly.

Know exactly where you're coming from mate, I just splashed out on the W2000 and had the same 1.3 question. As I've learnt over the years, tech moves so fast and there's no way anything you buy will keep up with it.

My new Nokia N80, old news

My new Computer, out of date

As long as what you buy does what you want it to do be happy, i'm happy with the W2000, the picture is lovely, it supports everything I need right now.

In 5 years time I might think about a new TV, there will probably be some new super HD format by then anyway and we'll have the same problems!

Know exactly where you're coming from mate, I just splashed out on the W2000 and had the same 1.3 question. As I've learnt over the years, tech moves so fast and there's no way anything you buy will keep up with it.

My new Nokia N80, old news

My new Computer, out of date

As long as what you buy does what you want it to do be happy, i'm happy with the W2000, the picture is lovely, it supports everything I need right now.

In 5 years time I might think about a new TV, there will probably be some new super HD format by then anyway and we'll have the same problems!

I got the N80 as soon as it came out, now have to look into the N95. You know one day I may grow up and stop trying to keep up!

I have been thinking about the w2000 but my lass doesn't like the look of it! Not that her opinion matters! how does sd look on sky ?, needless to say hd looks fantastic!

The N95 which has now been delayed until Q2 2007 :( I'm a phone geek too.

How can she not like the look of it, it's lovely! SD through the NTL TV Drive looks great on the 40W2000, it does a good job of upscaling the picture. Can't say how good Sky SD is though i'm afraid, not got it!

The N95 which has now been delayed until Q2 2007 :( I'm a phone geek too.

How can she not like the look of it, it's lovely! SD through the NTL TV Drive looks great on the 40W2000, it does a good job of upscaling the picture. Can't say how good Sky SD is though i'm afraid, not got it!

point taken! forget 1.3. think i will dive in and get the sony. n95 delayed? nightmare! I have to put up with going to football matches and watching the chav next to me with the same phone! oh the horror!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom