1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Sim 20H accept interlaced and progressive through HDMI?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adam*B, Jan 3, 2005.

1. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Can anyone tell me if the Sim 20H accepts both interlaced and progressive through its HDMI socket ?

I am torn between the Arcam 79 (which can send both through HDMI) and the Pioneer 686/868? (not sure if these can).

My thinking is to have a DVD player that I can choose to do the progessive scan or let the proj take care of it.......? This of course only works if the Sim20h can accept both. I understand that I'm best off not "upping" to 720p as the 20h is best suited to a native feed of 1024x576.....

Can anyone shed any light ?

Many thanks in advance

ADAM

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Hi

You have to send a progressive signal to the HDMI input of the sim2 PJ as the onboard faroudja is only connected to the analog section.

The pio 868i can also send an interlaced signal via HDMI (dont think the 668 can)but you will need an external scaler to make use of this Somthing like the DVDO iscan HD+ would be ideal once they add the firmware to pass Interlaced via digital(anytime now.)
    I think the pio 868i is the better of the two units(arcam dv79) due to feature count and price but there about as good as each other for there HDMI pic quality.
    big boost for the 868i is the i-link feature and the fact that it does SACD as well.

3. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gandley,

For best possible picture (excluding scalers etc) do you think the pic would be better on the 20h if it was sent 576p via the HDMI, or up it to 720p via the HDMI (Pioneer 868 etc) ?

I realise that with the 720p signal the projector would scale it back down....is it important to have a DVD player that can output 720p when dealing with the Sim 20H or keep everything at 576 etc ??

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    a scaling dvd player wont be important as it will get scaled either way but if you scale 720p first then back down to the native res of the display you are adding unnecssary scaling which may impar picture quality a bit.
    So better just to let the PJ do the scaling(which with sim2 products tend to be good)
    So best to send PJ a 480P/576p signal and leave the scaling to the 20h

5. bue

bue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use the setup ADAM*B talks about: sim2 domino 20H + arcam DV79 (and I am over the moon). The DVD is connected to the sim2 via HDMI. The deinterlacing is done by the DV79. When I configure the DV79 to deliver a progressive signal on the HDMI output, the projected image is ugly deformed (which confirms what gandley says: domino 20h deinterlacing does not work from HDMI input). The idea I tried to follow for configuring everything was: do as less convertions and processing as possible. For this I use HDMI and configured the DV79 to output YUV. The DV79 outputs 576p and the projecter has a 576 x 1024 resolution, the projector is set to anamorphic (for anamorphic DVDs of course) and the picture is very nice.
    (any suggestions to improve more are welcome).