Does The Player Make A Difference ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by willberry, Feb 4, 2009.

1. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does the player make a difference to picture quality or are they all pretty much the same (I'm not interested an analogue audio outs or any other fancies, purely picture quality and the ability to bitstream audio).

I started out with a (actually very quiet) PS3, then I moved to a S350 convincing myself that the picture quality might be better and since I flogged the PS3 on eBay for a couple of hundred the "upgrade" was very cheap.

Now I am feeling the urge to "upgrade" again and if there is a player which would offer a noticeably better picture for less than a grand then I would seriously consider it. At the moment I am using a 50" Panny PZ800 plasma, but in the summer will be moving to a 60" or 65" display.

Is there much chance of noticing a difference with another player or am I better off trying to control the urge to upgrade (for once) ?

2. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    With a 60" plasma, IMHO yes.

3. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Well, you've already got a 50 inch full HD screen, so there's no reason you wouldn't be able to test a couple of players on that and see for yourself. It's the screen you're already used to, so that's what I'd try if I were you.

Good luck bud!

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi willberry. :)
    There is differences can be subtle though,some players have extra features/picture adjustments :smashin: which can come in quite handy as well.
    All the best.

5. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I think there is a difference, as ever with AV & hifi, (and maybe some other stuff) one mans huge is another's is that it? ;)

If you're not after analogue outs then that rather limits choice, and as such perhaps something like a DVDO Edge video processor might be useful as it will add a few more adjustments, much better SD processing and work with all your sources for well under £1000. It has two HDMI out's and much better HDMI switching than most things. Worth a look. You might even want to pair it with a Denon 2500, which could be an interesting digital only setup.

6. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    In the old days, when Hi Fi was still alive, the aim was to accurately reproduce the information that was recorded. Surely these "features/picture adjustments" are to Blu Ray what the once vaunted Graphic Equaliser was to Hi Fi ;), a means to tweak to suit your own taste, at the expense of true fidelity :devil:
    Of course, maybe I'm just jealous of your kit :hiya:

Cheers

Brian

7. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I think that still applies once you've made the analogue conversion for audio, but for video, the screens are pretty much all digital so you never had an LP version to hark back to.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I honestly can't see any significant differences in picture quality amongst the PS3, Sony S350, Panasonic BD35 and Pioneer LX71 when projected onto my 100" (diagonal) screen from a very revealing 1080p projector. Some players have more resilient power supplies which might make a difference if you have noisy mains. The PS3 is still my bluray player of choice.

9. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think you might find yourself wrong on this one. I can tell from experience that cheaper players may lack "fidelity" out of the box and have no adjustment options necessary to compensate for this.

Scatter

10. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    And how can you compensate for a lack of fidelity without introducing processing algorithms that compromise fidelity even further?

I use a PS3 through an Epson TW2000 onto a 113" screen, and my biggest bugbear is the difference in transfer quality between many HD DVDs and BLU Rays. The difference between an outstanding transfer and a poor one would surely dwarf any difference between different players, IMO

Cheers

Brian

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Part of the issue is that there are no many variables in both the combination of equipment and factors such as calibration. On mans subjective fidelity is another mans inaccurate image. Also the display makes a difference and what may seem great on a 50" panel may be less so at 10'.

I agree about transfer quality. :)

AVI

12. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Let's not get into another "its all digital" debate please. Every player has processing algorithms and codecs anyway so I don't buy this argument. :devil:

I can't judge PS3 as I never seen it play but I believe that general consensus here is that new generation players are better in PQ especially if you consider above entry level.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009