Does the plasma need an RCA board

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I have just heard that the Panasonic W5 comes with the following input connections:-

BNC Video in
BNC Video Out (loop through out)
4pin DIN s-Video in
RCA Video Audio in
RGB (PC) in D-sub 15 x 1
RGB (PC) Audio in
M3 Stereo Plug
BNC G/Y, B/Pb.R/Pr.HD.VD In
RCA RGB Audio In
External Speakers Terminal
RS-232C (D-sub 9pin)

It would be nicer to have RCA inputs, but BNCs don't really bother me, as I have no problems making cables terminated with BNCs.

Does the RCA board just give you the same inputs but on RCA (Phono) instead of BNC connectors, or is there more to it.

Interesting.. Richer Sounds have advised me that they are expecting BNC inputs.

Either way, I guess it does't matter, as the little BNC-Phono adpators could easily convert the BNC to Phono without the need of a new card.

What is interesting is the report of the 'SCART/Component card' which is listed in the PW5 instructions.

If this is available, it would change everything. THere would be no need for a converter and hopefully, the SCART input would not only allow 'JUST' but might also support Pin8 auto Wide-Switching.

I guess I will just have to wait until my Plasma is in stock to find out what i get.

Jon

If I've followed your potential shopping spree correctly you are looking at the Silver B model 5 Series Panasonic display.

If so then as Steelej suggests your options appear to be the RCA Terminal Board, the Tuner Terminal board or the NEW SCART terminal board.

I have already had a few calls from purchasers of this display who have been supplied the display pre-fitted with the TUNER board - I think they must have expected the RCA board as they were looking to purchase the RCA board as a stand alone item.

The Charcoal D model 5 Series display can be supplied with no board, the BNC board, the RGB pass through board (for Video wall applications) or the DVI board.

Best regards

Joe

Hi Jon,

Just to set the record straight, the connection details I emailed you with (that you subsequently posted on this thread) were pasted straight from the Panasonic UK web-site. The PW5s we are expecting are exactly the same as any other PUK dealer will have, whether they have BNC or phono, only time will tell. If anyone else here has bought a PW5 from RS, perhaps they can clear this one up, as I don't have any stock to check.
Cheers,
Nick

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/product/plasmadisplaytv/TH42PW5B.HTM

Nick - I have previously looked on the site you link and as an accessory is "RCA-BNC Adaptor Plug - Yes" which seems to confirm your first posting as being correct.

I've just come back from trying to look at these screens, but with no luck. They had a brand new Philips 42 with a twin tuner etc 42PF9964 I think which the salesman said was newer and better than the panny. He also said that Richer Sounds could NOT be supplying a genuine UK PW5 at £3299 as he looked up the unit cost he pays and it was more like £3700+VAT. I said I had used RS many times and that's what everyone who can't compete with them always says and then left! Comments anyone (sorry to mention another plasma model Jon, but I'm in the same boat as you!)

Dave Cheltenham - well spotted!

Dave777 - we have already sold all our stock of the PW5 (about 15pcs) at £3299 to (presumably) happy customers. We definitely have more coming at the same price, although I'm not sure how long PUK will want to continue selling them to us, as I believe we are causing a bit of a stir. We currently have an order for over 500pcs with PUK, and you can guess what will happen to that if they put the price up.
;)

Nick,

I hope I havn't treaded on your toes, posting the information that you sent me here.. I thought that it was good information that anyone who was in the market for a W5 would be interested to hear.

Personally I am more than happy getting either a BNC or RCA version. Adaptors to convert BNC to RCA will be fine and I intend to try and source the SCART card (assuming that its going to be available) separatly when my order is confirmed.

Dave777, I really hope you are wrong about this.. I have just let my last chance of a Toshiba 42WP16 go baed on the fact that I will be getting a W5 for £3299.. If I can't get the W5 for that price, I would have been just as happy going for the WP16 instead. It just seemed that for £300 more, I would be stupid not to buy the latest model.

I do think that you have been wrongly advised. If you look at Empire Direct and Unbeatable, they are currently doing the W5 at around £3550 (which is already below the £3700+VAT you were quoted) so its not unbelievable that R.S. will be able to supply them for £3299.

dave 777 i have had the philips 42pf9964 and yes it does have a twin tuner for split sceen infact you can have up to 16 pic in pic, it has 3 scart imputs 1 s-video 1 composite and 1 component did not try it myself but have been told the component imput will not take a progressive signal. it also has a very bad picture quality through all source`s dvd , video , digital ntl, very bad blacks or grey should i say , and the worsed solarization ive seen (sorry about the spelling there). i now have a toshiba which at first was harder work as i had to buy cables, amp, rgb converter,speakers, but the picture quality easy outways the gimics of pic in pic and screen pause and the things you will use about 2 times then not bother with again.
hope this helps

ps. the philips had a higher rez screen and a few dead pixels imho the more pixels the more chance of dead or stuck ones

Jon,
No problem at all about posting the connection stuff - I just wanted to let everyone know that the info about the BNCs came directly from PUK, just in case anyone thought that RS were selling a different (i.e. commercial) model PW5, which is not the case. As we discussed earlier (and Dave Chelt. spotted) it looks like they come with BNC - phono adapters, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I'll make sure that you get your choice of Pan or Tosh as soon as they arrive, so don't worry. :)

Cheers,
Nick

Hello All

Finally got through to someone at Panasonic Consumer Tech support who 'seemed' to have a clue as to the various video boards available.

They say:

TH-42PW5B - standard configuration is supplied with the RCA Terminal board.

Options available are:
TY-42TM4H - Tuner terminal - required if you want to use the optional TU-PTA600B Tuner (A 5m 26 pin cable is supplied as part of the Tuner pack but the terminal board should be ordered as a separate part).

TY-42TM5T - SCART terminal (they thought this was a couple of months away as far as UK availability). This does have a 21 PIN SCART plus five RCA terminals. Three for video (R, G and B) and two for audio (L+R). You CAN use the RCA sockets on this board for a YPbPr Component signal or for an RGB signal (with SYNC on video via the SCART terminal). Panasonic were not sure how the software will handle an RGB via the SCART plus a YPbPr via the RCA sockets - it may not be a simple switch on the remote you may have to work a bit harder than that - or it may be that you can only have one or the other connected!

It also looks like you can fit the BNC or DVI board which are 'options' on the D Series displays - I dont believe Panasonic Consumer are going to carry these as spare parts so you, or your dealer, will have to order them separately through a non Consumer dealer!

Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks Joe - I believe the TH-42PW5B is similar to the Toshiba 42WP27 and the terminal board for that is shown here.

Your title with the Pulling Teeth aptly described how difficult it must have been to get the information.

That does it.. I am going to get a J.S RGB-Component converter, mainly because I want 'Just' mode.

Then, when the 'SCART Card' finally comes out, should it provide true RGB and Compent connections, I will re-consider my options.

Many thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom