Does the Pioneer DVR-630H use PDC ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by merlynn, Aug 1, 2005.

1. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Could anyone tell me please if the Pioneer 630H uses the PDC system to control late recording start and end times , also is PDC available on the Freeview channels ?

many thanks for any replies

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes - but it's not very reliable (from the broadcasters that is) and No - it's not on Freeview and won't be (in its current form) because it uses the analogue teletext system.

3. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was thinking why the interest, since I do not think any broadcasters use PDC. I think Ch4 started to use it once, but I am not sure about that

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All the terrestrial channels (1 - 5) use it now, but not for all programs. Radio Times tells you when it's not available. e.g. a Bond movie was recently transmitted with a break for the News. Each part was PDC, but the Videoplus code for the entire film, including the News, was not.
    As I said above, it's there but not 100% reliable on my experience.

5. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies as i thought it's best not to rely on it being available or reliable again many thanks

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I see. You would think now in this day and age that there would be a better system around. We are all suppose to be going digital and yet we still rely on the broadcasters starting and ending their programmes at the right time.

7. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITV is probably the worst at starting ontime and they don't use PDC to start recordings that are late they only use it for setting the published times on a VCR.
    I find channels 1,2 and 4 are the most reliable for PDC and Ch5 is the best for starting it's programmes ontime any comments ??

8. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Yeh I would agree that PDC on C4 is reliable, as is the beeb, but not late at night. I've regularly missed bits or all of the Sky at Night recordings because of this. Why has no one designed a Freeview version - it can't be that difficult surely ? Any clever software developers out there want to make a buck ?
    btw, see my earlier post on S/W versions on Pioneer recorders. Any way of finding out which version I have, please ?