Does the pioneer 868 suffer with the chroma/cue bug?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ofer40, May 29, 2005.

1. ofer40

ofer40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i'm looking for a universal dvd player and i found out that most players from pioneer have the cue bug.
    all of you that watched the pioneer 868avi.
    what can you say about this player and this bug?
    thank you

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
  3. ofer40

ofer40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i've read it but it is us version.
    pioneer send me an email and they said that this player doesn't have the bug.
    i don't know if to believe them or not.
    i hope that only in disney movies like they said on the 59avi i can see the cue bug because i normally don't watch these kind of movies.
    but i can't be sure i will not see it in other movies.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I recall, the simple answer is that it is still not completely correct in its handling of chroma upsampling, but it isn't nearly as bad as older Pioneer top-of-the-range players. So everyone's right - the earlier problem is substantially fixed, but technically, it's not perfect. Frankly, no-one's going to notice if they are actually watching the film rather than looking for faults.

(I sold my 868 because I was so annoyed at the absurdity of refusing to drive DVI on my Pioneer screen, when the DVD format was cracked years ago for anyone that wants to steal the digital source).

If you're going to be fussy, perhaps reject DVD altogether, since all chroma upsampling is a quality compromise. There's still the cinema to visit.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Since that's a requirement in the license for a manufacturer to obtain the HDMI/HDCP chipsets then obviously you'll not be getting an HD player either then. :)

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's a tiny bit unfair! :rolleyes: As it happens I am prepared to be forced to use an HDCP compliant display for an HD DVD player, but the 868 isn't an HD player, so there wasn't a need to incorporate HDCP at all. HDCP compliant displays don't require encrypted sources, they just allow them. By the time I can buy an HD DVD player, my non-HDCP panel will be two years older than when I dumped the 868. It'll probably be another year before I go HD, and I won't feel so bad about replacing the screen by then.

I think Sky are realising that a very large number of potential early adopters of HD are not going to spring for a new 40 or 50 inch panel just for HDCP.

And who's to say Steve Jobs hasn't spotted this roadblock in widespread HD adoption, and won't have us buying from the iTunes HD movie store with online player enablement, bypassing the HDCP issue altogether?