1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does the paradigm pdr8 go down to -29hz or only 50hz

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mick23, Jun 26, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    looking on paradigm web site seems all subs have frequency cut off variable 50-150hz, it states low frequency extention is 29hz +or - does this mean pdr8 goes down to- 29hz, the reason i ask is my front speakers (b+w cdm1nt) are rated 60-22hz so is sub only going down to 10hz lower than b+ws or to the -29 hz

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    50-150hz is the frequency that the sub takes over from the main speakers, normally called the "crossover" point.

From the information you provided, it looks like your sub goes down to 29hz.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you would be better off going for the paradigm pdr 10, for not much more cash it's a couple of steps up from the 8. goes down to 27 hz. but sounds a lot more than 2hz. different than the 8.

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    went to local hifi dealer in watford i heard rel q150 and a yamaha105, they used a demo disk of saving private ryan,(not sure but i think it was dts vertion) rel sub turned on/off bags of difference they have b+w vm1 as fronts etc, went to rs where i bought paradigm pdr8 and had a demo of the mordaunt-short msw20, which is 100w 10" driver as against pdr8 8" 90watt , still not sure if the m/short is any better than the pdr8, i would have purchased the pdr10 in the first place if they had one , so as space is limited in my room it is pdr8 or the ms20, so still a slight dilema, thank you all

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer sounds mail order should get you a ten, some branches still have them.

6. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you thinking of the PS1000 from Paradigm. You can get these from RS and sometimes they do deals in What Hifi or one of them for £149.... bargain

Lidders

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Paradigm PS1000, only a little more than the others, its sounds brilliant, but I wouldn't be able to compare it to the other as I haven't heard them. People on the forum say it is a large step up from the PDR10, though.