1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Panny 37pe30 work with pa20 stand?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AllTorque, Aug 3, 2004.

1. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone categorically used the pa20 stand with the 37pe30? It looks so much nicer in my opinion, but don't want to buy one and find it doesn't fit....

Also have found a great online price for the 37pe30 - £2054 including delivery! Am about to purchase before it disappears!

2. roswell69

roswell69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice you didn't say where, very tactical! ;)

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Looks like you can... Post Link from Thread.

I don't know if the significant difference in weight between the PA20 stand and PX20 stand is an issue or not.

S.

4. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, now got my 42 inch Viera on the PA20 stand and very nice it is too. The stand will also apparently take the 37 inch version as it has holes to move the pins which go into the TV (the instructions also come with Viera fitting details). It works very well and is very sturdy.

Steve, I know how much you're suffering so I weighed the stand at the weekend - 10.5kg. It certainly feels very solid. I have a 3 year old and a baby due any day and I'm not worried about it toppling. If you like the design, (and I do), go for it.

Regards,

Noel

5. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks loads for this Noel - much prefer the look of the PA20!

Have had my quote of £2054 confirmed now for the 37pe30, with delivery next Monday. It was from Currys online with the promotional code. This is at least £130 cheaper than ANYWHERE else on the web. Maybe they're trying to put the little guys out of business?

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Noel,

Interesting, the specs that I read on the Panny Japanese website must be wrong then as I could have sworn they quoted 6kg. If the stand is closer to 10.5kg then as you say, there is no issue at all. Good to know! Thanks Noel, unfortunately for me, I actually prefer the look of the PX20 stand :rolleyes:

S.

7. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ......or my scales are miles out :D

I don't think so though, as I have a reasonable idea of what 10 kilos is from the plates at the gym (which I don't visit as often as I should).

Good luck with the search, you've got a cracking telly.

8. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry, and you're welcome Alltorque. :)

9. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All Torque, Thanks for that information I only got my PE30 delivered 6 days ago and I paid £47 more for mine from the same retailer.
    I have now phoned them re their price match, to try and get the difference refunded.
    If they won't I'm thinking of being a bit arsey and send it back under the 14 day return policy and re ordering it, after all £47 is £47.
    By the way exellent TV, you will love it. I've got mine of the floor stand £330 from QED delivered. People say it's expensive, but it is a quality product, no p[lastic atall, just glass, metal and cast alloy pieces. Goes to tegether a treat and looks superb.
    The jist from this forum was get as big as you can, but I can honestly say the 37" is more than big enough for my room.
    I'm so chuffed I've attacted a picture, I know it would be better suited in the "get yer plasmas out" forum, but as I'm here. :clap:

Attached Files:

10. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Orlando - sounsd great! The cabinet stand just looks a bit too big for my room I think, and I think you lose a bit of flexibility.

Noel, if you're still reading. I rang shop@Panasonic who have the PA20 stand in stock. They say that it won't fit the 37pe30 because the bolts aren't long enough, even though the holes line up. Did you use some longer bolts?

They will sell the PA20 stand separately, but won't sell the PX20 stand without the TV. I'm wondering if they're bull****ting me but don't want to shell out £127 quid on something that doesn't fit, with no refund....

Hope you can help.

11. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Alltorque,

Isn't it fun when you want to spend money and no-one will give you decent service?

The manual for TY-ST42PA20 (which I've got in front of me, I've tried to scan it but failed) has installation instructions for the PA20 TV, but it also has a loose leaf insert which has installation instructions (and I quote) "for use with the TH37PE30B/TH42PE30B Viera".

The kit comes with the main stand and two "pins" which bolt onto the stand with some short bolts provided. You bolt the pins into one position on the stand for the 42" TV and another position (just inside the first ones) for the 37" TV. There are also two long gold bolts in the kit which you use to attach the TV to the stand.

If in doubt, ask the Panasonic shop assistant to open the box and look at the instruction booklet.

It seems you now have a choice - trust a person employed by Panasonic solely to deal with enquiries just like yours, or trust a complete stranger from a web forum...... :D

Let me know how you get on,

Noel.

12. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    That's the same response I've had over the last month from those handful of retailers that actually have them in stock :mad: highly frustrating eh? :thumbsdow

S.

13. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Noel! I'm wondering if you've got an "updated" version of the PA20 stand perhaps? Could I ask where you bought it from?

I think I'm gonna gamble on buying it as I can't wait till the end of August for the other one! Here goes nothing! *grin*

14. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think there's an updated version.

Got mine from Crampton and Moore. www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk.
    You could give them a call to double-triple check that it will fit. They also told me I could return it if I wasn't happy.

Ordered over the phone (having phoned a lot of places)Thursday afternoon, came Friday morning. They were the people who told me it works and they were right. It was around £150, but they had stock, which was a start!

Good luck,

Noel.

15. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for info, have found the link which shows the 42pe30 with the pa20 stand.

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pa30.html#pa20stand

Have now ordered from Horsham Shop@Panasonic for £127 including delivery. Lets hope it fits....

Thanks again for everyone's help. What a great community!

PS Noel, I won't be happy if it doesn't fit!!! *grin*

16. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Noel, who's Noel? No-one by that name here :D

Your home may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments secured on it, etc......

17. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noel,

I'm getting worried now. The stand arrived today, and there were no long gold bolts in the box - just two silver metal ones that attach to the stand and then go up into the tv.

Did you get silver ones AND gold ones, or just the gold ones? No mention of Viera in the instructions either. Oh dear! Haven't got the screen yet so can't etst it. Bricking it!

Need some good news from you on this big guy!

18. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    All Torque, reading Noel's description I believe he only got one set, x2, of long poles that slide into the underbelly of the plasma. The gold bolts that Noel refers to are, I presume, part of the pack of screws/bolts (4x short to fix poles to stand, 4x long to fix plasma to upright poles) that are used to fix the plasma to the stand by screwing them into the back of the telly and into the poles themselves, if that makes sense.

Hope this provides some degree of comfort, good luck!

S.

19. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve. I think you may be right - the silver pins that go up into the tv seem fairly standard, and look identical to the ones in the PX20 installation document. I just don't have the gold screws/bolts! Surely I can get some from a hardware store?

I'm probably worrying over nothing, although the Panasonic guy did warn me it wouldn't work....

Can't wait to get it all up and running though - yours sounds awesome mate!

20. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Alltorque,

No need for bricks, we'll sort it!

Let's try and get to the bottom of this. My stand came with a printed manual and a loose leaf attachment. I have re-scanned this attachment but I cannot post it here as it's too big a file (max 100k and I don't know how to shrink it! - sorry, I'm a Luddite). This is the only reference to the Viera in the whole document. However let's try to make some sense of it.

Page 3 of the manual for the stand has a list of parts for assembly at the top:

1) Short screws x 4
    2) Long screws x 4
    3) Binding strap x 1
    4) Poles x 2
    5) Pedestal x 1

Steve's post above was correct, I used the short screws to attach the poles to the pedestal. You can do this in one of two positions, depending upon whether your screen is 42/50 inch (option 1) or 37 inch (option 2).

You now have a pedestal with two poles pointing upwards. When you get your TV, there are two holes in the bottom which will line up with the poles, you simply slot the tv onto the poles.

There are two holes in each pole which line up with similar holes in the back of the TV. My loose leaf sheet says to "securely fasten using posi pan head set screws (Gold) (Use the lower screw holes only)". My stand came with two gold screws/bolts, about 3 inches long, and I screwed these into the bottom holes. It appears that your stand came with neither the loose leaf nor the gold screws.

Still no cause for panic. The TV fits very securely on the stand without the screws in place so you will be able to get your TV/stand up and running with no problems. Then all we need are the two bolts. I suggest we both try Panasonic customer service and see if we can rustle up a set between us. Perhaps you could use the "I've looked everywhere for the PX20 but ended up having to buy the PA20 which I was told fits but I appear to be missing some bolts" line, and I'll try the "I told a bloke it would fit because mine did and now I'm feeling guilty" line.

Sorry you've been through some stress, I'm just a bloke who ordered a TV stand and it worked so I passed on the good news :rolleyes:

I'll help as much as I can to get things sorted :smashin:

I can't log on again until Monday so I'll try and post then.

Cheers,

Noel

21. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Good luck with customer support, you'll need it.

S.

22. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noel - cheers mate. TV should be arriving in the next couple of hours. Like you say, I was hoping it should just slide onto the pins reasonably securely - think the gold bolts are probably just for peace of mind. Lets face it, if the TV falls over, you're probably screwed however it's attached to the stand....

I'll definitely try the Panasonic customer support route, but may equally just try B&Q - I know the screw diameter as I have some shorter black screws in my kit - just need to source some longer ones I guess.

Thanks again my friend (and I don't want you feeling at ALL guilty about any of this... ;-))

23. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I feel like a bit of an arse, but there you go. :D

I have been trying to get through to Panasonic "customer care" for over an hour this morning on 08705 357357 but I get pointed to the website then cut off! (Thanks for the heads up, Steve!). I have sent them an e-mail requesting the bolts, so we'll see..... :confused:

I also called Crampton and Moore (where I got my stand) to check that the bolts/info sheet weren't something they add in themselves but they told me they come from Panasonic.

Let me know how you get on at B&Q and I'll tell you what Panny come back and say. You still have a great TV, by the way...... :)

Noel

24. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noel, that's awfully kind of you to go to such trouble. Would be keen to hear if they respond to the email.

You will get your reward in heaven I'm sure.... (if it exists.... :))

25. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV has arrived - jesus it is hug, and this is the 37! Seems very secure on the stand, even without the bolts, so may even leave it for now.

Now got to sort out some decent scart leads and surround system.....

26. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Will of course let you know what they say. Have fun!

27. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noel / Alltorque,
    I have been reading this thread with great interest, as I have ordered the 37" viera from www.techtronics.com, and awaiting delivery soon as well.

I am also waiting for ANYWHERE that has the pedestal stand - I am tempted to order it off of www.unbeatable.co.uk as it is £99.99 delivered, and they reckon they will have them in within a fortnight ( yeah, right).

When it does come, can you let me know what RGB Scarts, etc... you set it all up with, and whether you are impressed with the TV or not - Hope I've ordered a good one !!!!!!!

Sean..........

28. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sean,

I've got the 42 inch Viera and it's great. I use component from DVD and RGB scart from Sky+ and the picture is excellent. I got my stand from Crampton and Moore for about £150.

Cheers,

Noel.

29. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Noel,
    Cheers for the response mate - so when it comes, should I get a component to component lead from tv to dvd player (sony davs-888), and then scart to scart from tv to ntl cable box ??

Would this be best set up ????

Sorry, but I am not that technical........

Sean........

30. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If the DAVS-888 has component out, I guess it must do, then you can connect this to the component in (AV4C) on the Viera. I have ntl cable and this is connected to my TV via AV2S as my ntl digibox outputs an S-video signal being an early release. If your ntl box is a later version then it should output an RGB signal which can be plugged into AV1RGB of the Viera.

I also have the 37" Viera and I'm very pleased with the picture. I'm still in the 'burn in' period at the moment but even with brightness/contrast/colour lowered to below par values the picture is great. Should be stunning after I've had a play with the Digital Video Essentials DVD disc ;) :D

S.