Does the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK have fans?

chambeaj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether or not the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK has fans?

I was under the impression it did have, but the following review seems to contradict this!! :confused:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42phd8uk-review.html

'OTHER CONSIDERATIONS - 94/100

This plasma TV runs virtually silent. It is fan-less and has one of the lowest power consumption ratings of any plasma along with Pioneer. I could not hear the unit running at all. Not even from a foot away. Easily the best in the market.'

'The plasma makes no noise at all. Its silence has yet to be matched by high-end Pioneers costing thousands more.'

Mine has two at the top on the rear and you only really hear them on start up...sounds like a server booting up! for a few seconds then silence!

Thanks for the comments.

I found the fans in the Fujitsu 58 Series to be very irretating :mad: - cheap fans with noisy bearings (and running constantly). Silent operation is a must for me. But this somewhat limits your choice with Plasma displays. Trouble is I really do not want to go back to LCD again (lousy shadow detail/poor blacks, motion blur, inaccurate colours, lifeless picture and poor viewing angles :thumbsdow ).

Yes the PHD series all have fans. Only the standard PWD series are fanless (although I like them).

The PHD8 has a lot of fans - to find them, simply start a thread saying "I'm going to buy a Viera TV" and they all come out of the woodwork telling you to get a PHD8 instead.

Now that's comedy

On mine there is a 2 second whoosh as the panel is turned on, but then you can't hear them at all (unless you stand right next to the back of the panel and listen closely).

Apparently some PHD8's fans are noisier than others though....

Great screen in any event!! :smashin:

Baldybouncer said:
Mine has two at the top on the rear and you only really hear them on start up...sounds like a server booting up! for a few seconds then silence!

mine is exactly the same

Jet_Set_Jim said:
The PHD8 has a lot of fans - to find them, simply start a thread saying "I'm going to buy a Viera TV" and they all come out of the woodwork telling you to get a PHD8 instead.

Now that's comedy

well, of the Terry and June variety :D

actually I must admit that's how i first read the question

The fans on my PHD8 cannot be heard unless you stick your head right against the back of the screen, which is not advisable for the optimum viewing experience. ;)

Sorry typo on our site. Was copy and paste job from Panasonic site, which had copy and pasted from the SD panel spec!!!

All PHD screens have fans.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom