• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does the PAL PS3 play NTSC DVD's?

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
Very unlikely but you can but try

ducattigezzer

Established Member
the only one that outputs both signals which is easy to get your hands on is the hong kong ps3

more info here

PlayStation 3 Secrets

it doesn't mean that it will play region 2 disc's etc it just means that it outputs both signals

Seriously, the European consoles rejects NTSC DVD-Video discs? Wow.

Just to clarify, we are talking about it refusing to play NTSC discs, not just refusing to play out-of-Region discs?

sjw

Prominent Member
I will be seriously :censored: off if that's true. I have a fair few bought music DVD's that are NTSC - but Region 0. Will try soon and let you know....

EDIT: - Yes, it plays NTSC discs just fine. I think everyone (well, nearly everyone David.. ;) ) seems to be confusing discs carrying recordings in the NTSC format with discs that are region coded to R1....

Last edited:

nolive

Established Member
I will be seriously :censored: off if that's true. I have a fair few bought music DVD's that are NTSC - but Region 0. Will try soon and let you know....

EDIT: - Yes, it plays NTSC discs just fine. I think everyone (well, nearly everyone David.. ;) ) seems to be confusing discs carrying recordings in the NTSC format with discs that are region coded to R1....
you are right.but the frustrating thing for us owner of Jap PS3 is that it wont play any other format than NTSC whatever the Region coding:mad:and thats quite frustrating for me having moved to Japan few years ago not being able to play any of the DVDs I bought in Europe:thumbsdow

Yes, I have the Japanese version, too. It's annoying, because the PS3's scaling is quite nice for DVD.

Not playing NTSC on the European model would be silly. A lot of music-based software is in NTSC to preserve the speed (or to offer one global disc compatible worldwide).

jwyg

Established Member
good news - can pick up some R0 NTSC martial arts discs when i go to HK this winter then :thumbsup:

JamesZuza

Standard Member
hello!
So summary PAL ps3 can play NTSC, but only region 0? Are you sure PAL ps3 can't play region 1? I dunno so please answer me :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom