Does the new Sony NWZ-A829K do gapless playback?

D

Discoball

Hey Guys - can anyone with the new Sony NWZ-A829K please confirm whether the player plays MP3 files gaplessly? Also, is the player compatible with SonicStage as my entire library, collected over 6 years, is on SonicStage?

Thank you very much for any advice...

daveb975

Hey Guys - can anyone with the new Sony NWZ-A829K please confirm whether the player plays MP3 files gaplessly? Also, is the player compatible with SonicStage as my entire library, collected over 6 years, is on SonicStage?

Thank you very much for any advice...

No gapless playback, I am afraid. The older Sony players did this with ATRAC files only. This player is not compatible with ATRACT or SonicStage.

It will be a pain moving all of your library from SS, but ultimately worth it. It takes about 30 seconds to get an album onto these players, compared with about 5 minutes on my old SS based Sony players.

mdsjack

Standard Member
a guy in another forum said it does support gapless, for WAV music, if it is really gapless. I haven't tried yet.

daveb975

a guy in another forum said it does support gapless, for WAV music, if it is really gapless. I haven't tried yet.

That is interesting, I did not know that. The problem is that a 16GB player becomes very small when used with WAV files.

D

Discoball

Thanks for all the advice so far. I really don't get why Sony won't fix the gapless playback problem - even Apple sorted it out by the 5th generation of iPods allready! Do they not realise that it is preventing me and possibly many others from buying it?

If the player supported gapless playback I would have regarded it as the first player to tick every single box I have - but sadly it misses out on an essential requirement... :mad:

D

Discoball

Actually guys, one more question; do these new players also suffer from the EU volume restrictions that made my old A3000 so quiet (until I did the service menu change...)??

metrodave

Standard Member
Actually guys, one more question; do these new players also suffer from the EU volume restrictions that made my old A3000 so quiet (until I did the service menu change...)??

I have just bought a Sony NWZ S639F player, i have got around the gapless playback problem by first copying the tracks to itunes as one song, then transferring this to mediamonkey, then transferring to my player. if anyone knows a better way please advise, by the way does anyone know if you can buy a armband for these players for use in the gym like with the i-pod?

p.s I'm missing my i-pod loads....Not!

twoodley

I have just bought a Sony NWZ S639F player, by the way does anyone know if you can buy a armband for these players for use in the gym like with the i-pod?QUOTE]

Yes you can. Sony Centre tried to sell me one, but failed:)

Digger

I too have just purchased a 639 and I love it. I am sure I have seen the armband advertised. If anyone manages to locate a Sony silicon case (for gym use) for one of these, that would be useful? They too are being advertised but currently not yet hitting the shops/websites.

Sorry to sound very ignorant but is Gapless Playback for albums such as remixes where all the tracks mix into each other. So when you synch them with an 818/639 etc the player puts gaps in automatically?

Last edited:

KJ Palmer

Novice Member
It's for any album that doesn't have a well-defined split between tracks, eg. live albums, some classical music, Pink Floyd and some mixes as you said. Not really a problem if you just play on shuffle, only if you want to hear the album from start to end.

wonderloaf

Novice Member
I have just bought a Sony NWZ S639F player, i have got around the gapless playback problem by first copying the tracks to itunes as one song, then transferring this to mediamonkey, then transferring to my player. if anyone knows a better way please advise, by the way does anyone know if you can buy a armband for these players for use in the gym like with the i-pod?

p.s I'm missing my i-pod loads....Not!

Just happened to bump into this thread and you've kinda solved the gapless playback problem on my NWZA818...just imported all the tracks (from the one gapless album that I've got) into Goldwave, joined them all up (in the right order of course), then exported them as a single mp3. Seems to work OK although I can't jump tracks, but I only ever listen to it start to finish anyway.

Thanks metrodave :clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom