1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Marantz RC5400 work

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Neil Fellows, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have heard from a friend that the Marantz remotes can operate strangely when used with a Plasma screen in the room. Is this a known issue, as I am thinking of buying a Marantz RC5400 for use with Pioneer's new 43" plasma?

2. mikewheatley

mikewheatley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1 year old Marantz RC5400SR which came with my SR4400 multichannel receiver. Recently I have noticed some problems with it, in that each remote button has to be pressed twice to get the receiver to undertake the respective function.

I know this is a problem with the remote, as I have another multifunction remote (Cambridge Audio M1+) which I programmed with the Marantz functions when the receiver was new - and this one operates the received fine.

The Marantz remote has been somewhat intermittent since I bought it, and now appears consistently to operate strangely.

I will be enquiring with Marantz as to why this might occur, and asking for a replacement, however my experience is that this does not appear to be:

1. A very reliable remote.
    2. Very functional in terms of different devices it will operate.

My recommendation - try an alternative remote.

3. nbk7zc3

nbk7zc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

I have had my RC5400 since my original Pronto was dropped one too many times (approx 6mths). Everyone who's used both complain that the touch screen requires a much harder press compared to the old Pronto and thats it's not as comfortable to hold. It also doesn't seem to want to control my Pioneer DVD player...

On a purely asthetic note, the silver finish around the hard buttons at the bottom has begin to wear off, not very good for such an expensive remote. I'm going to replace it with a new Colour Pronto in the new year.

So I'm going to echo Mike's recommendation of an alternative.

Cheers

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Thanks very much for your input, this is very intresting. I'm going to take a look at the Pronto and see what they are like for my system. I'm glad you note the problem with the Pioneer player, as it's a Pio i'm getting (the 868). I'm also using Pioneers SR+ system, that loops everything together so you can use just one remote (the Pio learning remote that comes with the Pio Amp) to operate the lot, so i'd need to make sure the Pronto can work Ok with that.