Does the Marantz DV4500 do progressive scan?!?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NinjaKi11a, Mar 14, 2005.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to start a new thread on this, but no one can tell me for sure. I even phoned Marantz UK and after pointing out the inconsistancies of their website got an unconvincing 'No... er, not sure... probably not...' response.

On one page of their website it says it does do NTSC prog scan, on another and on the brochures it only mentions PAL (and perhaps significantly states both for the other machines in the range). Furthermore the American site says the unit does prog scan - could they be selling different units for the two markets?

Can anyone help me as I want to buy the bugger tomorrow. How absurd is it that Marantz can't even tell me this? I also phoned my dealer who checked the manual and said it didn't mention anything about technical specs for prog scan.

I guess the fact that Marantz can't even get their pre-sales customer support in order is a good reason not to buy the thing. Unfortunately I don't want to go through the agony of another decision (though the alternative is probably the HK DV22).

Cheers. :)

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing the manuals, it seems it is just PAL prog scan - which rules it out for me.

So would they be selling a different unit in the States?

3. dr78

dr78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that almost all manufacturers sell different products in the Europe and the US and again in Japan, Marantz are just unusual as they use the same model numbers.
    I know you frustration most manufacturers websites have some sort of error, it's caused me some pain in the past.
    Having looked at this myself, you'll find that the UK model does PAL progressive, for the PAL market and the US model does NTSC for the NTSC market. Neither offering the non local system for prog scan.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, after some investigation I've found that the lower models in the range will apparently convert an NTSC signal into PAL progressive, but not vice- versa, which makes it useless to me. I just got back from buying a HK DVD22; it'll do both which is great. The built in test card is also a nice feature so I can flog my DVE disk. All in all for £120 (£140-£20) it seems decent enough.