Does the HDMI carry 5.1 sound on the V+ box?

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As subject.

Yes it does

Well that's settled it for me.
I need to buy the Onkyo 705 as opposed to the 605 as I need three HDMI in now. :smashin:

I have taken on alot of new AV equipment in a short space of time and have not yet quite mastered them all. I have the onkyo 605 with my V+ box going direct to tv via HDMI and an optical to the 605, will this carry 5.1 sound. the other HDMI are already in use for PS3 and DVD recorder.

thanks

Well that's settled it for me.
I need to buy the Onkyo 705 as opposed to the 605 as I need three HDMI in now. :smashin:

But don't forget that only some of the programmes on the one HD channel ever seem to be broadcast in 5.1. :thumbsdow:

All of the HD broadcast programmes, however, (except some of the on demand stuff) are at least in Dolby digital :smashin:

But don't forget that only some of the programmes on the one HD channel ever seem to be broadcast in 5.1. :thumbsdow:

All of the HD broadcast programmes, however, (except some of the on demand stuff) are at least in Dolby digital :smashin:

FYI Sky Movies broadcast in DD5.1 on some of the movie channels now. Not just on the HD ones.

I have taken on alot of new AV equipment in a short space of time and have not yet quite mastered them all. I have the onkyo 605 with my V+ box going direct to tv via HDMI and an optical to the 605, will this carry 5.1 sound. the other HDMI are already in use for PS3 and DVD recorder.

thanks

yes that's my setup ATM.
Works fine for 5.1.

But with my new amp I want to just go with HDMI and so leave an optical free for other kit.

yes that's my setup ATM.
Works fine for 5.1.

But with my new amp I want to just go with HDMI and so leave an optical free for other kit.

You will not get 5.1 sound via the HDMI cable only (stereo is the best you will get). You will still need the optical cable.

You will not get 5.1 sound via the HDMI cable only (stereo is the best you will get). You will still need the optical cable.

My 875 shows Dolby Digital when connected via HDMI on BBC HD, but only if I set the HDMI Audio Override setting on.

I only got it yesterday, so not had a good play with it yet. When I tried checking some of the movie channels for films that are listed on Digiguide as DD5.1 the amp wasn't showing it.

There seems to be conflicting information regarding the carrying of 5.1 DD on the movie channels on Virgin. Some people are reporting that it is present on some movies but I have yet to see on that is carrying it.

Mr & Mrs Smith, on now on channel 410. DD5.1

What part of the network are you on as I am only getting pro logic? So I guess this is a Ex NTL / Telewest issue then. I am Ex NTL EX C&W EX Videotron

Central London. ex TW.
Im not using HDMI as i only have a CRT so i have the digital input going direct in to my amp. Dont know if the Audio out overide setting has anything to do with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom