Does the HD box upscale?

markiii

Noddy question I'm sure but I'm seriously thinking it's time to get sky HD

so for content that isn't HD can/will the box upscale it for me or will I need a seperate box?

thanks in advance

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
It does upscale, but so does your TV, if it didn't you would end up with a small picture in the middle of the screen.

markiii

marvelous thanks

is that dependand on having an HD subscription or will it upscale all content regardless?

Broadz

It's a hardware issue - nothing to do with subscriptions.

Within setup you choose what format you want HDMI to output in - if you choose something higher than 576/Automatic (i.e. 720p or 1080i) then the box must upscale SD transmissions, as it is converting 576 lines into a higher number.

But, as others have already said, your TV upscales a picture in a lower resolution than 1080 anyway - it has to do, otherwise you would be watching a small picture in the middle of the screen.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Mark, slow down, pay attention. :lesson:

You don't need the box to upscale, because your television already upscales. And your television will very likely do it better than your Sky HD box does. Okay? ;)

chrise

Novice Member
marvelous thanks

is that dependand on having an HD subscription or will it upscale all content regardless?
You can chose to output SD programming through HDMI at 560p (using the automatic setting), 720p or 1080i with or without a HD subscription .

However do not assume that the SkyHD box will improve the picture you see as it depends on your TV as well. Many people find that their TV does a better job at upscaling than the Sky+HD box and some even swear the scart output at 560i is better. Loads of threads discussing this.

markiii

ok I can see your points ref the TV upscaling, I hadn't really looked at it like that

however since there is a noticeable difference between SD DVD signals sent to the TV via either my bluray or HDDVD deck (neither of which were more than £250) and the same discs upscaled by the respective decks to 1080i I'm guessing my TV isn't doing so great a job?

bobbytoad

Using HDMI, can you set the box to output 500 whatever linesf or SD material (therefore allowing teh tv to do scaling) but output 1080i for HD material??

or do you have to choose the one setting which i assume would be 1080i??

Broadz

Using HDMI, can you set the box to output 500 whatever linesf or SD material (therefore allowing teh tv to do scaling) but output 1080i for HD material??

or do you have to choose the one setting which i assume would be 1080i??
Set it to Automatic - it then outputs the resolution that the source material is in. So, 1080i for high definition broadcasts, 576p for standard definition broadcasts. It also means that SD broadcasts will (or at least should, depending upon your television) retain the correct aspect ratio as well, as the TV is not fooled into thinking it is receiving a high defintion broadcast and therefore must be anamorphically decompressed putting it into fattyvision.

jameslindsey

Novice Member
For me I think the box does a better job, it also means that you have less of a delay, channel changing between SD & HD channels.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
however since there is a noticeable difference between SD DVD signals sent to the TV via either my bluray or HDDVD deck (neither of which were more than £250) and the same discs upscaled by the respective decks to 1080i I'm guessing my TV isn't doing so great a job?
Maybe not - but that still doesn't mean that the Sky HD box will be better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom