1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Epos ELS3 bookshelve speaker work well when close to walls?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Can anyone tell me how well the Epos ELS3 bookshelve speaker works when near the wall? It will be mounted on stands either side of an LCD but only about 10cm away from the rear wall - is this likely to cause problems?

Thanks.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Mine seem ok at about the same distance, although I'm running with a sub so I guess any bass fall-off would be masked. Really hard to give you a definitive answer though since there are so many variables (room size, amps, subs etc).

Cheers, Carl.

3. pjdowns

pjdowns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Although I only use my ELS3's as rear speakers, they work fine and are right up against the wall. I am sure that due to having the port on the rear of the speaker they are probably designed to be close to a rear wall.

Best way, is to try it out. If you are going to also use a Sub, then if you find the ELS3's booming, just either turn the bass down on them or try moving them out an inch.

Hope this helps

Paul.

4. Julio V

Julio V
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nick: If you dont want to sort it out by investing more mney into your system, it helps todo the job of try and error. It is a bit frustrating but at fisrt place them close the wall then move them out a little bit, then check whether there are some improvements. Bear in my the general rule is that placing far away from the wall, you will benefit from a subtle mid range such as tonal, sound stage,natural coherence at the expense of bass weight and vice verse.

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the replies. As I say they will be roughly about 10cms from the rrear wall but with more space either side. How far away do most people place their speakers from the wall? I would say bass is less important to me than midrange, sound stage etc however I've heard the ELS3's weak point if lower frequencies.

I'm building up a second system to take away while I'm an university so am looking at small budget but also small speakers - especially depth wise (hence ELS3's) as I haven't much space in my uni flat. I was comtenplating spending the extra and going for the Epos M5's which are a bit taller yet retain that small depth found in the ELS3's - apparently the M5's handle lower frequencies better than the ELS3. Then again, as previously stated, bass isn't as important to me, I will have the speaker close to the wall so I don't want them to 'boom', don't want to annoy people in neighbouring flats. Another problem if I went for the M5's is I would be tempted to buy a better amp (was originally looking at the Nad 320BEE).

Nick.