• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does the DMR-ES20D remove encryption when recording?

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
I want to free up some space on my Sky+ HD and transfer some progs to DVD with the above player. I would also like to watch the dvd's on other TV set without SKY.

Is it possible to remove SKY's encryption when recording to DVD such as those for SKY SPORTS and movies etc etc....

Thanks

MikeK

Prominent Member
The Sky encryption is removed whenever you play back the recordings (that's why you need a valid Sky card to view them), so yes, it's perfectly feasible to dump Sky+ content out to DVDRs without any problems with encryption - many people regularly do this (myself included).
It's the Sky+ box and viewing card which removes the encryption, not the DMR-ES20 (it doesn't have to).

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
Thanks for that Mike.

MikeK

Prominent Member
AFAIK, Macrovision is only used by Sky on some Box Office events - I've certainly never come across it (though by no means do I watch every channel, and I don't have Box Office stuff ( I think I already pay enough :) ))

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
I was mainly hoping to offload some Sports progs which weren't pay-per-view, just on regular Sky Sports Subs. There will also be the occaisional kiddies program for my daughter, as well as some pop concerts screened on non pay-per-view.

I guess these type of events will be without macrovision?

Caveman643

Established Member
foneman said:
so has anyone actually tried?? I did, about a year ago - from sky movies, it stopped with protection error, about ten minutes in...

I've never had a problem copying movies off the normal movie channels. Never tried Box Office movies.

philipb

Prominent Member
Me too. Never had a problem archiving from the Sky+ HD for all the movie channels - 301 to 319. Box office movies can be recorded to the Sky+ HD but cannot be archived, not from a standard box anyway.

foneman

Established Member
a slightly off-topic question... :) can the sky+ unit still toggle the SCART when a 'reminder' event happens?

I use this on my standard SKY, so when I am watching normal TV, it will switch to SCART, when the SKY program starts...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom